FORUMS: list search recent posts

transparency question

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon Waitman
transparency question
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:59:12 am

hey , i normally use fireworks, but some plugins i like no longer work in it, so am finally trying to learn photoshop...

i have a stock image collection and the software with it creates .tiff's with transparency. when i bring a .tiff with transparency into fireworks, the background is transparent (yay). but when i bring in the same image into photoshop (cs5 or cs6), there is an opaque background. i notice there is an alpha layer, but i need to have the background transparent. how do i do that?

btw: i can bring the same .tiff into FW and save it as a png and then bring it into PS and it DOES have a transparent background, but i prefer to not have to waste so much time with this work-around, since i use a lot of these images.

thanks for your help (sorry if this is too basic for this forum -- i tried asking it in the PS basics forum and no one responded)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: transparency question
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:17:37 pm

You should be able to use the alpha channel as a mask - just select the alpha channel, copy it, then go to your image, reveal layer mask and paste the alpha channel into your mask. You can invert it if the mask is backwards, too. Then you can save as a photoshop file, PNG, or some other format that supports transparency.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]