FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preferences - Zoom Center question

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
Preferences - Zoom Center question
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:14:25 pm

I got a "problem" in PS CS6 which drives me nuts.

When zooming in/out within an open file, PS automatically centers the image to the program window once the zoom level allows it to fit inside the work area.

Is this a preference which can be turned off. If so, what's the name?

I hope my description was ok and someone can point me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Preferences - Zoom Center question
on Dec 12, 2012 at 2:46:52 pm

Not sure I fully understand what's happening. How are you zooming? With the Zoom tool (clicking or dragging?), or the keyboard shortcuts? And when it zooms in, the problem is it's repositioning the entire image so its center point is centered in the window instead of centering on the area you clicked?

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:02:56 pm

I am zooming with the keyboard shortcuts "ctrl+Space+LeftClick" and I Move the Image around with "Hold Space + Hold LeftMouseButton and Drag".

Example:
I am zoomed in on the top left corner of an image.
When I zoom out again I want the left corner of the image to STAY at the center of my screen. That's how it used to be in older versions.
In CS6 during zooming out happens this: once the image is able to be fit onto the screen, PS will center it. In addition I cannot move it's position while holding "Space+LeftMousebutton" - the image is nailed to the center of the screen until I either zoom in/out one step again. Only then I can move it around freely. That's what's bothering me and I am looking for a way to turn this behavior off.

Was the description ok?

EDIT: Sorry, there is one mistake in my description...
Once the Image can fit on the screen it ALWAYS is centered and cannot be moved away from the center with the HAND tool. I guess this is the whole problem... can't remember it used to be this way.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:49:59 pm

From what you are describing, yes, it used to always be that way. Its that way on my CS3. As for all the functions:

CTRL+SPACE+Left Click - for me, this zooms in just fine. If you don't want the window to change sizes while you zoom in or out, this is what you use and ALT+CTRL+SPACE+Click for zoom out (I'm on a mac, don't remember if Alt is correct on Windows). When the image is zoomed smaller than the size of the window, ALT+CTRL+SPACE+Click will keep the window the same size, but the image will center as soon as its smaller than the actual window. It's always been like that, too. Then again, even after using Photoshop for this long, I keep learning new things.

Once the window is centered and zoomed out, nope, you can't move it with SPACEBAR+Click-Drag. It never has for me. Let me know if you come up with something. I can move the window around by the titlebar of the window. You can move the window around with the Navigator if its zoomed past the window boundaries.

Can you send a screen shot of what you are referring to?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:14:53 pm

Hi Jonathan, thank you for taking the time to respond.
I have to confess that I might have imagined things... I would have put a lot of money on the "fact" that it used to be different.
Just an hour ago I called a friend who is still using CS2 and he also confirmed what you just said. once the image is zoomed out so that it can fit entirely on the screen, it's nailed to the center and cannot be moved around.
I really don't know why it feels so unfamiliar this way for me now. I hope I find out what's the issue...
Sorry for wasting anyones time and thanks again for the replies.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:06:54 pm

No time wasted. I love playing in Photoshop. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Leroy Casterline
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:38:13 pm

I ran into the same issue and found this thread yesterday, which led me to believe I was mis-remembering how things used to work. Today, completely by accident, I found the solution.

Zooming works as you wish in one of the two full screen modes ('full screen mode', 'full screen mode with menu bar'), but the other way, in which the image centers when it will fit on the screen, in 'standard screen mode'.

You can cycle between modes via the 'F' key or 'shift-F' key depending on your preferences; you can also switch between modes via the icon on the toolbar.

Return to posts index

Timotiejus Norvila
on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:34:23 am

This thing drives me nuts too!
Have you found the solution?

As I remember it wasn't like this on previous Photoshop I had. It was so fun to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]