FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop batt died while comp was asleep, with photoshop open. UNSAVED ACTIONS or files* are gone. Any way to recover them?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ori Kuper
Laptop batt died while comp was asleep, with photoshop open. UNSAVED ACTIONS or files* are gone. Any way to recover them?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:03:20 pm

Hello, i was working on some pics in ps, finisehd with the files but left PS open. Then i put my computer to sleep, the battery died and it shut itself down.
When i turned it on now, the workspace was different (i can deal with that via the window menu) but more concerning - my actions menu was empty. Anything that i SAVED as action lists few months ago - i re-loaded to the action menu, but since NOT everything was saved into my actions lists, it seems that i LOST (?) actions that i made but DIDN'T save into any actions list...
So am i correct? are they really lost? or can i find them somewhere in some weird temp file that PS created in the background?
Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks! Ori.

*P.s. just realized a file or 2 (psd and jpg) were also, either not saved or not fully saved... they come up with blank parts (just the upper part exists) any chance to recover those somewhere as well?

P.S.#2. just realizing that a lot of other settings inside PS wend back to their default (fresh right after first installation) state. any chance to bring them all back to where they were when my battery died?

Return to posts index

Ori Kuper
Re: Laptop batt died while comp was asleep, with photoshop open. UNSAVED ACTIONS or files* are gone. Any way to recover them?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 7:38:44 pm

Never mind, i found a way! For windows / PC.
i never used it nor was aware to it before, but 'Restore Point' of Windows (7) totally saved me.
I'll share here just in case someone else needs it; after searching on the adobe.com community, i found a similar case of someone with a mac (link to that case below), but i have a pc. so what i ended up doing on my PC was:
1. go to (your hard drive letter here):Users(your user name here)AppDataRoamingAdobeAdobe Photoshop CS5Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings
2. there i found the file 'Actions Palette.psp'
3. the version i found was last modified today (which is what happened automatically after i started re-opening old action lists)
4. right click on the file > properties > previous version
5. in that previous version tab i found the my computer SAVED a backup restore point about 5 days ago. right click on that old file icon > save as somewhere on my computer (just in case)
6. click on 'restore' > the computer tells you there is no coming back from this > click ok or yes
7. open photoshop > check the actions panel > life is good.

What i'm going to do now is to:
1. save my lists as they are right now (which i should have done long ago)
2. check when my computer creates restore points, and make them more frequent on that settings.

(link to the mac case here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4237068)

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
Re: Laptop batt died while comp was asleep, with photoshop open. UNSAVED ACTIONS or files* are gone. Any way to recover them?
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:39:47 pm

Thanks for sharing ; )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]