FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop CS6 & Screen Resolution: How Can I See Accurate Measurements?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renee Matthews
Photoshop CS6 & Screen Resolution: How Can I See Accurate Measurements?
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:55:50 am

Hi everyone!

How can I tell adobe exactly what "1 inch" looks like? I would have to reduce my screen resolution to something very low so that when I put a ruler up to my screen, it would match what Adobe says is "1 inch".

My screen resolution is 1920x1080 and my monitor is 17.3"inches.

Not sure what other data I need or where to get it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!

Jennifer

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Photoshop CS6 & Screen Resolution: How Can I See Accurate Measurements?
on Dec 5, 2012 at 2:37:02 pm

Not sure what exactly you're trying to do. Placing a ruler against the screen really won't tell you anything as you'll get different results based on your screen resolution, document resolution, level of magnification, etc.

Photoshop gives you lots of tools to determine how big things will be when they print. Rulers are the simplest of the bunch (Ctl/Command-R). Think of it as placing a digital ruler against your screen. You can see exactly how large your printed elements will be, with Photoshop compensating for resolution and magnification.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Renee Matthews
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:24:02 am

Thank you for the response. I'm trying to make it so what I'm seeing on my screen is actual size.

So if I pulled up the dimensions of a quarter in Photoshop, I could put a quarter on the display/monitor and it would be exactly the same size.

I'm pretty sure Adobe has a way of letting you set this based on your resolution and pixels but I'm not sure how!

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:26:45 pm

Well, there's View > Print size, where Photoshop will do its best to show you the size an image will be when you print it to paper. But for Photoshop to automatically display things at their real-world size? To the best of my knowledge, there's no automated way to do this. To use your example, if you open a photo of a quarter, Photoshop doesn't know A.) it's a quarter and B.) how big it's supposed to be. All it sees is a grid of pixels.

I suppose if you know your monitor's native resolution (usually 72ppi or 96ppi) and set up a new document at that resolution, you could get 1 monitor inch to roughly equal 1 real-world inch, but you'd be locked into only viewing at 100% magnification, and anything you print will be jagged and pixelated. Plus you'd still have to do scaling of any element you brought into the document to get it to the right size.

By and large, Photoshop doesn't care about inches, or any physical measurement. All it cares about are the number of pixels.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 7, 2012 at 5:23:12 pm

Try displaying the ruler in Photoshop, and then alter the display percentage in Navigator until one inch on Photoshop's ruler equals one inch on a real ruler.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:07:34 am

[Renee Matthews] "My screen resolution is 1920x1080 and my monitor is 17.3"inches."

Is that the diagonal measurement of the display? If so you'll need to convert it to either the vertical or horizontal dimension of the display. I'd recommend horizontal which has a 1:1.14734748441786 ratio to the diagonal (god bless trigonometry). Meaning the horizontal measurement of your display should be about 15.08" (rounded). Dividing 1920 pixels into that gives us 127.33567457123 or roughly 127ppi or 128ppi.

This value can be entered in Photoshop's Preferences under Units & Rulers in the field titled Screen Resolution.

All of your Rulers should be accurate once you've set this value properly and gone to View > Print Size for the document you want to see at size.

I'd recommend checking Photoshop's rulers against a real ruler and making small adjustments to the ppi as you deem necessary.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]