FORUMS: list search recent posts

disk and ram usage

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohn
disk and ram usage
on Nov 28, 2012 at 1:31:48 am

wondering how the ram/disk/processing works here.

I have a 500 meg file.
16 gigs of ram total.
14 allocated to PS.
50 megs free on the scratch disk.
( the file has a lot of layers with very about of image on each)

when i open the file in the corner for document sizes it says 200m/7g. what does this mean exactly?

if i try to perform a crop it says theres not enough room on my scratch disk. how is it needing so much drive space?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: disk and ram usage
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:25:40 pm

Even though the file is only 500MB, Photoshop loads the entire image in RAM as an uncompressed file (as if it were a completely uncompressed file). Has to do with how PS manages memory. So the file takes up 200MB for what you can see on your screen and 7GB in RAM. Best bet is to raise the amount of RAM and scratch disk space photoshop requires OR, if you are okay with it, lower your number of undos (default is 20, I think). Crop should be fairly simple, but it needs to retain the entire image (pre-crop) in your undo history which is what's taking up so much space, I'm sure. Also, try saving at each step so you don't need to store as much in one go.

I used to run into this all the time when I was dealing with huge layered images for catalogs and such. Lemme know if this helps.

-Jonathan

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
Re: disk and ram usage
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:56:18 am

got it. yeah, doing any of those helped.
thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]