FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aligning linked layers Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Mildenhall-Ward
Aligning linked layers Photoshop
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:43:46 am

I have two linked layers and I want to align them together to a third selection while retaining the relative spacing of the two linked layers to each other. However when I select the linked layers and choose the alignment command, they both align as independent layers, thus losing their relative spacing. How can I do what I need?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Aligning linked layers Photoshop
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:31:09 pm

Hard to say for sure, but sounds like you'll have to manually align everything, but is use the nudge (V) and the arrow keys. What version of photoshop are you on and can you send an example? Finally, just to clarify, you have 2 layers that are already aligned and you want to align them to a third layer, right (and ps aligns all 3 like they're each separate layers)?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:31:08 pm

Hard to say for sure, but sounds like you'll have to manually align everything, but is use the nudge (V) and the arrow keys. What version of photoshop are you on and can you send an example? Finally, just to clarify, you have 2 layers that are already aligned and you want to align them to a third layer, right (and ps aligns all 3 like they're each separate layers)?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:46:33 pm

If I'm understanding your question correctly, put the two layers into a Group folder, make sure the Group layer is selected in your Layers palette, make a selection from your third layer (CTL/Command-click its thumbnail), and then choose the align option you want. The two layers in the Group will move as one while maintaining their relative spacing from each other.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Luke Mildenhall-Ward
on Oct 20, 2012 at 12:18:48 am

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Grouping them into a folder and then removing them from the folder works but I thought there might be a simpler solution. I always assumed linked layers sorta locked them together positionally.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]