FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vector Mask or Clip a Shape layer Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Regan
Vector Mask or Clip a Shape layer Photoshop
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:58:18 pm

I want to vector mask a shape layer or clip a shape without effecting the original shapes path. I'm working in CS6 and can't seem to figure this out.

Below is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a rectangle shape highlight on the gradient rounded rectangle (see above pic). I don't want to change the dimensions of the highlight rectangle. I'd like to clip it or restrain it via a vector mask to the path of the gradient rectangle so you get this:

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Vector Mask or Clip a Shape layer Photoshop
on Oct 11, 2012 at 6:38:22 pm

There's a couple different ways to do it, if your highlight and blue rectangle are both on their own layer.

In the Layers palette, Alt/Option-click between your highlight layer and blue layer. That will create a clipping group of the two layers so your highlight will only appear where the blue layer is opaque. You can then link the two layers together if you want the highlight to stay in the same spot as you move the blue rectangle around.

If you don't want to go that way, CTL/Command-click on the thumbnail of the blue rectangle in the Layers palette to create a selection the exact size and shape of the rectangle. Then select your highlight layer and add a layer mask (the icon at the bottom of the Layer palette that looks like a dark circle inside a white rectangle). Your highlight will be masked out in the shape of your blue rectangle.

And if you're working with vector shapes and want to keep everything vector, select the path of your blue rectangle, copy, go to the Paths palette, select your highlight path layer and paste the new path into the layer (you'll now have two paths). With the new rectangle path still selected, click on the Pen tool, and in the option bar along the top of the screen, set the path to Intersect Shape Areas.

One of those methods should do the trick for you.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Luke Regan
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:53:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeff. The second and third solution work nicely. The third one was what I was looking for although I'll stick with the second one since its just a lot less steps. I couldn't get the first one to work though. Opt. clicking between them creates the clipping mask but instead of clipping my highlight rectangle to the blue one, the highlight one disappears. Any idea why?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:42:30 pm

Are the two items overlapping on screen? Option-clicking tells the top layer to only be visible where the bottom layer has opaque pixels. So if they're not overlapping, the top layer will seem to disappear.

Also, if you have a blending mode on the blue rectangle, that will affect the color of your highlight layer as part of a clipping group. For example, if the blue layer is set to Multiply, and you make a clipping group with a white overlay layer, the white area will disappear.

If they are overlapping, can you post a screen cap of your work area/Layer palette? Maybe I can spot the issue.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Luke Regan
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:20:16 pm

Here is the screen shot.

I'm Opt. clicking between the two layers. The top one as you can see is the white/highlight shape and the bottom layer is the gradient shape. There are no blending modes. When I hold option my cursor changes to a down facing arrow next to a box and then I click and it indents the top layer with an arrow facing down, the "clipping mask" after that the top layer is no longer visible. Doesn't appear on the opaque pixels of the bottom shape.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:28:25 pm

Ah, I see the problem. Try turning off your Gradient Overlay effect on your blue rectangle layer. That effect is being applied to both layers in the clipping group. Turn off the effect and your highlight layer should pop back into existence.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Luke Regan
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:04:52 pm

Wonderful. Thanks Jeff!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 20, 2012 at 6:07:59 am

[Jeff Hinkle] "Ah, I see the problem. Try turning off your Gradient Overlay effect on your blue rectangle layer. That effect is being applied to both layers in the clipping group. Turn off the effect and your highlight layer should pop back into existence."

You could also leave the Gradient Overlay on and in the Blending Options section of the Layer Style dialog disable "Blend Clipped Layers as Group" and enable "Blend Interior Effects as Group." Then any layer styles you apply to either layer will not interfere with the other.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Sam Garner
on Jun 8, 2013 at 12:29:06 am

@Darby Edelen This is the answer I was looking for. Its been bugging me for a while now, since I've been using CS6. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]