FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting the right depth and correct contrast in a photo (effect)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jebster Kropf
Getting the right depth and correct contrast in a photo (effect)
on Oct 8, 2012 at 5:49:54 pm

I'm trying to add myself to photo of some friends of mine sitting on a porch. The place I would add myself is leaning against a wall that is in the background but part of my legs would be covered up by someone sitting in the foreground. I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish this. The other issue is color and/or contrast correction since the photo I'm taking of myself probably isn't going to match. If anyone has a moment to point a photoshop newbie in the correct direction I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance. I'd also be more than happy to upload the photo to show you what I'm dealing with. And I should have probably mentioned this sooner....I'm on a fairly ancient version of PS. v4.0

Where are you from?..........originally.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Getting the right depth and correct contrast in a photo (effect)
on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:41:33 pm

Is that Photoshop v4.0 or Photoshop CS4? If it's v4.0 then some of the suggestions I would make may not apply or may be named/located differently.

For placing your friend in front of your legs you have a couple of options. The best one would probably be to duplicate the image you're placing yourself into and then mask it so that the friend(s) that would be in front of you are the only things visible on the duplicate layer. Then place the image of yourself in between this top masked duplicate and the bottom source image. This route gives you the flexibility of being able to re-position the image of yourself without having to change any masks.

Here's some more information on masks:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/masking-layers.html

For the color correction the CS versions of Photoshop include a Match Color function:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001...

If you are running an older version then the Levels adjustment can be used to match colors manually but the process is more involved.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jebster Kropf
Re: Getting the right depth and correct contrast in a photo (effect)
on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:42:54 pm

Darby, thank you so much for that information. This definitely gives me a place to start. It is in fact, version 4.0, and not version CS4. I know....when I said ancient, I really did in fact mean, ancient. Thank you again.

Where are you from?..........originally.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]