FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does one animate traditionally in Photoshop?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Alan Wake
How does one animate traditionally in Photoshop?
on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:36:03 am

I love onion skinning frame by frame animation, and would love to do it in Photoshop with minimal effort.

I have looked into using a video layer in timeline mode, then mapping next frame to a key and drawing each frame, but sometimes I want to preserve the details of a previous frame in the new one and just alter it slightly.

Say I want a characters head to remain the same but move with the animated body - how can I do this?

I have tried duplicating the previous frame, but when I adjust the position of that duplicated frame, it seems to change the previous frames also, which is a problem.

I tried cutting and pasting the contents of the previous frame, which again seemed to just alter the whole video once I started moving the pasted information around.

How does one animate in photoshop with onion skinning, but also the ability to duplicate and *slightly* alter frames for more subtle character movements?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: How does one animate traditionally in Photoshop?
on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:31:03 pm

Alan,

Onion skinning can be done using a partially transparent layer or possibly the layer modes. I don't do the type of animation you describe, but I believe it would be far easier to accomplish using After Effects, as that software has functions to create joints between the parts of a characters body. These allow the parts of an arm or leg to move naturally or a head to follow its body. Also AE has a good deal of the functionality from both Photoshop and Illustrator.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
Re: How does one animate traditionally in Photoshop?
on Nov 13, 2012 at 12:34:35 am

Photoshop extended (CS 6) has an onion skinning. You have to be in the timeline view rather than the frame by frame view in order to use it. It works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]