FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glossy Candy Text Effect - Problem

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
saeed jafri
Glossy Candy Text Effect - Problem
on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:45:47 am

Hi

I am very new to photoshop like a dummy. I know some of the basic tools but dont know how to use them. I need some assistance from gurus that I will really appreciate if someone can solve my problem.

I am trying to make a text effect that I found on a website. I have completed the first couple of steps successfully but now stuck on the next and dont know how to do that. Let me explain what I want:

I am trying to make Glossy Candy Text Effect which I found at

http://loreleiwebdesign.com/2009/12/26/design-a-glossy-candy-text-effect-fo...

This link is for page 2. I have completed the step upto making the word LORELEI in multi colors but after that I am stuck where it says

""Next, as explained above, click on the letters layer, to load the selection, and then go to Select >> Modify >> Contract"".

But when click that layer and go to Select>> Modify, the Modify is dead so cant be selected. I could not also understand the rest of all next steps how to do. These are:

1. Then chose Rectangular Marquee tool, and when the “substruct from selection” mode is chosen, cut the lower part of the selection..

2. Don’t de-select yet.

Make a new layer, select the gradient tool from white to transparent, and make a light gradient from about 10 pixels above the letters to around 5 pixels after the end of the selection.

I have searched on net but could not find the desired answer. As I said earlier I am very new to photoshop. If any guru can please explain in a way treating me like dummy, I will appreciate his effort in this regard.

The PSD file for this text effect is also available at the end of page on above mentioned given link.

One more thing, I am using Hancock edition of photoshop.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Glossy Candy Text Effect - Problem
on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:02:31 pm

Just clicking on the layer won't create a selection. I'm guessing earlier in the tutorial, he explained about CTL/Command-clicking (that's CTL on a PC, Command on a Mac) the thumbnail of the layer in the Layers palette. That will load the opaque pixels of that layer as a selection. Then you should be able to use Modify>Contract.

The next step is saying, while you still have the selection available, select the Rectangular Marquee tool (that's the one that looks like a box with a dashed outline) and use it to deselect the bottom part of the current selection. Hold down ALT/Option. Your icon will gain a little minus sign. Now if you click and drag, any area of the current selection you go over will be subtracted.

Then it's just a matter of dragging with your Gradient tool with a white-to-transparent gradient. It will fill the shape made by the selection, white at the top, fading to nothing at the bottom.

Hopefully that helps clarify the points, and I didn't make you feel like a dummy.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:15:05 pm

Almost forgot: Don't forget to make a new layer in between building your selection and dragging with the Gradient tool. That's the icon at the bottom of the Layers palette that looks like a little notepad with the corner folded over. Then when you drag with the Gradient tool, your gradient will go in this new layer and not on top of your existing image.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

saeed jafri
on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:18:55 pm

Thank you so much Jeff for the reply.

I have done the first step of selection with marquee tool, but could not understand the gradient one. I will be obliged if you can please clarify it step by step as explained previously:

"Make a new layer, select the gradient tool from white to transparent, and make a light gradient from about 10 pixels above the letters to around 5 pixels after the end of the selection".

As I do not even know how to make white to transparent gradient and how to apply it.

And thanks for not feeling me like dummy but to be honest I am really dummy in photoshop. Regards.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:31:22 pm

Select your Gradient tool (hit G on the keyboard if you can't find the tool icon). Notice the toolbar across the top of your screen has changed. On the left side there will be a small representation of the current gradient, which is most likely your foreground color to your background color. Click on this gradient swatch and a drop down menu will show up with all the current presets. The second preset (unless you've changed them) should be Foreground to Transparent, which will be your foreground color fading to a gray checkerboard pattern. Select that one and set your foreground color to white.

Now click where you want your gradient to start, in this case about 10 pixels above the top of your selection. Keep the mouse button held down and drag to about 5 pixels below the bottom edge of your selection (holding Shift will constrain your drag to a straight line). Release the mouse and your gradient will be created.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

saeed jafri
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:13:09 am

Thank you very much Jeff. I have done it. Its exactly the same that I wanted. The way you explained everything is so impressive. I am highly obliged to you. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]