FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image size for print/web

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonnie Lewis
Image size for print/web
on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:40:10 am

Hello,

I took a photograph recently, and I'll be wanting to send it out in press releases. It might be used on the web, or it might be used for print - so I was going to send out a web-friendly and print-friendly copy.

I've got myself a little confused in the process.

With regards to printing - my original image was 240DPI. In Photoshop's Image Size dialogue box I changed the DPI to 300, which makes the document size 9.28 inches wide by 15.52 inches tall. Will it be okay to save this out and send on to people with these dimensions?

I read that for print I should keep the Resample Image box unchecked. However if I do want to make the overall dimensions smaller, the DPI goes up as a result - does this matter? I was under the impression that print should be 300DPI, but if I set it to 300DPI with the Resample Image box unchecked, I have no further control over the dimensions of the image.

Alternatively I could check the Resample Image box and adjust the image size to whatever I want, but will this have an adverse effect on quality when reducing the size, or is it only a problem when making the image larger?

Perhaps this is all information that will vary depending on who is printing it - apologies, I've really confused myself!

For the web version, I simply changed the DPI to 72. In the "Save for Web" options I then have control over the overall dimensions, and I saved it in a way that kept the file-size to about 300kb.

Any tips or info appreciated.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Thanasis Papadimitriou
Re: Image size for print/web
on Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34:58 am

just in case you need an answer right now: 240dpi is excellent for commercial printing. i'm a pro graphic designer and i had to use images of less than 300dpi many times. if you have to use an image of 240 dpi for a flyer, magazine or a newspaper there will be NO problem.

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:10:05 am

Thanks a lot for the speedy response.

My main confusion really comes from the relationship between DPI and the physical size of the document.

Say my photograph was 8x12 inches at 240DPI, if I wanted it to be 8x12inches at 300DPI I would have to resample. Is resampling going to reduce the quality of the print?

Say someone wanted to print my image - would they ask for it with specific dimensions or do they just work with what they're given?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Thanasis Papadimitriou
on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:37:04 am

Yes resampling is going to reduce the quality of the print.
If you want NO quality loss and your original image is 8*12 in 240dpi you have to print it in 9.5*6.5 in 300dpi.
Βut my personal opinion is that human eye cannot understand such a difference.
Image size > uncheck "resample image" > set your size in resolution >
check AGAIN "resample image" > OK

These all have to do with offset printing. for laser/inkjet printers things are easier.
Sorry for my english -I'm a greek.

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
on Jun 28, 2012 at 4:01:42 pm

Thanks - your English is very good!

Say a magazine wanted to print my photograph. Chances are they wouldn't want to print it in its full 8x12 inch form. With re-sampling unchecked I could resize the image to be smaller, but the DPI would shoot way above 300. Does that matter, or in that case should I be resampling?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Thanasis Papadimitriou
on Jul 2, 2012 at 6:52:40 am

It doesn't matter and you shouldn't resample your image back to 300dpi. There is no problem with more dpi. Magazine or books editions use publishing/layout programs like InDesign, QuarkXpress etc. The layout designer will scale your photo to fix in the magazine, newspaper, brochure etc page in one of these programs. Commercial printing companies need 300dpi (CMYK mode) images for high quality prints so even if you give them a 1000 dpi RGB image you'll get a 300dpi CMYK brochure, magazine etc. (Keep in mind to check your images in CMYK mode to see the colors you will get in the final print.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]