FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is a "Matte Filter" and how does one execute it? See link for explanation

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
What is a "Matte Filter" and how does one execute it? See link for explanation
on May 2, 2012 at 8:38:07 pm

I've been trying to get the William Eggleston (dye transfer print / technicolor look) in my spare time for the last few weeks and can't seem to figure it out.

I found a 40 second Technicolor tutorial online (by the people who did "The Aviator) but it's a bit on the vague side... & there's one step I don't understand... at second 9 they illustrate extracting a black & white image from the separate RGB channels (they call it "red matte filter", "green matte filter" and "blue matte filter". This doesn't appear to be the same as selecting the individual RGB Channels in photoshop... it's almost as if the images are inverted (they're only showing part of the image contrast).

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd really like to be able to achieve this look via this technique in Photoshop.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

best,
Michael

Here's the Link.

Return to posts index

Fabien Berthelin
Re: What is a "Matte Filter" and how does one execute it? See link for explanation
on Jul 13, 2012 at 6:58:04 pm

Hello !

I'm looking exactly for the same thing !

I tried a lot of things with mask and layer effects on photoshop to have a "technicolor effect" on photos. For now, I found that the best looking was to pass the image on CMYK, then separete chanels on different layers and recomposing them in RGB image with black layer. But it's not realy that technicolor effect it looks like in "the aviator" film or example showed here (not even more in the "red shoes" or in "the Wizard of Oz"... but other things like light or make up, explain that kind of image).

The only example I found going the nearest of the technicolor effect is on that discution in flickr > http://www.flickr.com/groups/technique/discuss/34913/
Arkku propose to do the same thing presented in the video for aviator. But I don't know how he gets the "matte". And it's result. He didn't use photoshop. Maybe the gimp ? But I can't see how translate is formula into photoshop...

So I'm very interested for a solution... by the way,I don't understand why it is so hard to get that effect and why there is nothing on it on the net ! O_o

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
Re: What is a "Matte Filter" and how does one execute it? See link for explanation
on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:06:18 pm

I agree. I can't seem to figure out what the exact procedure is.
The Technicolor is a very specific look and often I see not so great "versions" of Technicolor online.
The original Aviator Tutorial seems to be damned close to the real thing... I just can not figure out what "Matte Filter" is.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this look or what "matte filter" is?

best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Fabien Berthelin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:50:02 pm

After searching for hours and hours, I definitely find nothing more on how to get "glorious technicolor" lookalike photography in photoshop. But I almost think that there is not one proces. It's only by experiment that you can get the result tah you want to have on your pictures. But to get close to it you have two solutions.

The first one is on passing image on CMYK , separate chanel, then ad color to them and recomposing the image. Because Technicolor used to be in CMY.

And the second solution, always on using channel, is to using channel mixer. Easier way but less exact than the first one. So here it is an exemple > http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8311915

The technic is explained in the comments :

"The trick is very simple, open a channel mixer adjustment layer and set the channels as such, red channel= red+140 green-20 blue-20 , green channel= green+140 red-20 blue-20, blue channel= blue+140 red-20 green-20, then flatten image, copy background image, add gaussian blur, set layer mode to lighten and lower opacity to make the blur effect very subtle and that's it."

Then I still wander why there is no action script on this ? O_o

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]