FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping dimensions

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Cropping dimensions
on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:14:38 pm

Making banner images for a Website so all the images have to be the same size. I've cropped my first image to a certain size (1000x378) Now what is the easiest way to ensure that when I'm cropping I can actually see the crop values when editing the other photos. When I select the crop tool and select a section of the image how do you gauge what dimensions you have selected?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Cropping dimensions
on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:42:17 pm

Skip the Crop tool and use the Rectangular Marquee. In the top toolbar set Style to "Fixed Size," input your dimensions (1000x378, in your case) and click in the new image. It'll create a selection to that exact size. Now just drag that selection to the part of your image you want to keep, select Image>Crop, and you've got your new image in the exact same size.

If you have a bunch to do, you could also set up a Batch Action with a Stop set up after the selection is made so you can position the selection where you want it before letting the Action continue with cropping and saving.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:37:30 am

I'm just revisiting this and carrying out the steps. I select 'fixed dimension' set the dimensions but then when I click on the image (with the marquee selected) all that happens is that the marquee selects just the outer edges of the image, not giving me the fixed area I inputted in the toolbar.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:39:08 pm

If you're clicking with the marquee tool in the 1000 x 378 image, then yes, it'll just select the outer edge because your selection size is the same as your image size. Click in one of the original images you want to crop (I'm assuming they're all larger than 1000 x 378) and you'll get a selection the exact size you need. Move it to frame the part of the image you want to keep, and crop.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:45:31 pm

Thats not happening. I have an image (which isn't the dimensions I'm after) and like I've said I set a fixed size click in the image and regardless of the size of the image it only selects the outer edges.

The other two functions word OK just the fixed size isn't.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:04:35 pm

How big is the image you're clicking into with the fixed-size marquee tool?

Are you setting the unit measurements of the tool to pixels and not inches?

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:43:11 pm

It was set to cm not pixels:-)

Thanks for your patients....what an idiot I am!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]