FORUMS: list search recent posts

copy (cmd+C) from photoshop to carry alpha channel into other apps - works in CS4, but not in CS5!?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
copy (cmd+C) from photoshop to carry alpha channel into other apps - works in CS4, but not in CS5!?
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:04:28 am

OK, so I hope the title summarizes my issue.

I'll run you through what I'm trying to do so you understand why I'm copying pixels out of photoshop.

For a while now, I use photoshop to create icons on Mac OSX. I make a selection...clean it up, mask it out with transparency and when I'm done, I flatten it (one layer, over transparency). Then I select layer, simply press CMD+C and then "get info" on any file within finder, paste the pixels and get a great cool new custom icon.

When I try to do the EXACT same process in Photoshop CS5, it won't carry transparency, it puts it on white...I've looked in preferences for some sort of "copy alpha data" or something...I can't find any reason why it's different between CS4 and CS5.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: copy (cmd+C) from photoshop to carry alpha channel into other apps - works in CS4, but not in CS5!?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:58:55 pm

I'm not sure why it changed - but I got it to work and I'll tell you what I did (and then I'll email you this too!)

I copied just what was on the layer - not the background/transparent. CMD click on the layer and only it is selected. Paste that into your icon.

I just tested this with CS 5.5 + the finder.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: copy (cmd+C) from photoshop to carry alpha channel into other apps - works in CS4, but not in CS5!?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:37:25 pm

Jeff, thanks for taking a look.

This is my exact process.

I cmd click to get marching ants selection around just the layer. To keep things simple, I delete everything else except the flattened layer, so I'm only working with one thing.

Select, Copy, Paste and it creates white box around layer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:45:07 pm

I did it with 3 layers and it worked - I cmd clicked the highest layer, command c copy and then pasted into the finder.

Don't get rid of the other layers.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:52:04 pm

Can u send me psd? I can't get tht process to work for me?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:30:45 pm

Turns out I was totally wrong. See email followup

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]