FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop CS5 Image Stabilization

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Paquette
Photoshop CS5 Image Stabilization
on Jan 27, 2012 at 1:38:57 pm

Richard Harrington has a tutorial on Adobe TV on how to stabilize shaky video in Photoshop. Apparently, it only works on 32-bit versions of Ps. I did try it with 32-bit CS5 where I tried to stabilize 125 frames (Ps layers). When the auto align frames option was selected, a progress bar came up and reasonably quickly reached about 10% done. I then waited nearly 10 minutes before cancelling it with no further progress indicated. I next tried the same process with 64-bit Ps CS5 except I first converted the video to an image sequence (60 frames/layers total this time) before opening in Ps. When the auto align layers was selected, I had exactly the same problem - about 10% progress and then a hangup. I was, however, able to make it work with about 10 layers. My question is whether this is a software problem (Ps), a process problem (am I doing something wrong?), of a PC problem. I use a Dell XPS 625 with Win 7 64-bit OS and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dale Paquette
Re: Photoshop CS5 Image Stabilization
on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:04:56 pm

I think I've answered my own question. While I expected the stabilization process to take some time, it takes a lot of time! 60 frames required nearly an hour. That said, I have never been able to stabilize intentionally shaky handheld footage as well as Ps did regardless of technique.

I now need to explore stabilizing with camera pans and prominent moving subjects in the footage.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 28, 2012 at 8:02:01 am

you might try after effects for stabilizing footage - more suited for it and really fast. Tutorial: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/stabilize_shaky_footage/

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

Dale Paquette
on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:37:43 am

Under most circumstances I do use AE for stabilization both using the built-in point tracker and the Mocha planar tracker. The Ps technique suggested by Harrington more closely approximates Mocha. That said, both of these methods have limitations and so I'm experimenting with Ps as an alternative. I have some footage of the sky only with some minor shakes I'd like to use and there is simply nothing there to lock a point tracker onto. Likewise,I'm not having much luck with Mocha. The Ps technique does allow me to isolate the 1 or 2 frames (layers) where the shakes are and manually adjust them. I could also do so in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]