FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjustment Layers: Suggest creative or advanced techniques for using them?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david lincoln brooks
Adjustment Layers: Suggest creative or advanced techniques for using them?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:20:09 am

Hi Guys,

I am experimenting with using Adjustment Layers in CS5 tonight.

I get it... you can apply the provided FX in a very "live" kinda manner, using masks to selectively and non-destructively apply them.

I'm guessing you cannot do it using Third-Party plugins, right?

I'm trying to think, in which creative situation I'd use Adjustment Layers.

Can you jog my brain into understanding more advanced, subtle or creative uses of Adjustment Layers? How do your more advanced PHOTOSHOP practitioners use them?

Thanks, Dave

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Adjustment Layers: Suggest creative or advanced techniques for using them?
on Feb 22, 2012 at 8:06:30 am

Generally speaking I find adjustment layers useful for global (or at least somewhat expanded) color adjustments. Doesn't sound exciting does it?

Adjusting the entire composition, or groups within the composition, from a couple of non-destructive layers can be very useful.

If you're looking for some specific uses, try putting a Black & White adjustment layer at the top of your PSD and switching its blend mode to Hard Light. Whammo, instant bleach bypass. You can lower the Fill on the adjustment layer to reduce its overall effect.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

david lincoln brooks
Re: Adjustment Layers: Suggest creative or advanced techniques for using them?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:45:43 am

Since I posted this request, I have studied some tutorials on Beauty Retouching, and now I "get" the concept of the Adjustment Layer.

I appreciate now that Adjustment Layers are not merely a "trick", but rather a whole new way of using Photoshop. As I've been using P'SHOP since 1998, I had failed, along the way, to appreciate that Adjustment Layers--- and using a seemingly infinite stack of them in the Layers palette--- constituted a new workflow for a detailed project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]