FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Resampling Method Should I Use?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Coffelt
Which Resampling Method Should I Use?
on Dec 30, 2011 at 3:51:33 am

I have a question. When I open a photograph that I have taken with my Canon 20D originally in the RAW format but then saved as a TIFF and go to the Image Size Dialog Box in Photoshop, the file size is 23.4 megabytes with a Width of 2336 and a Height of 3504 pixels (if Portrait...simply reverse those numbers for Landscape). The Document Size has a Width of 9.733 inches, a Height of 14.6 inches and a resolution of 240 pixels per inch. Well, I like to convert all of my images down to 1 inch by 1.5 inches...I just do...a quirk of mine or my obsessive compulsive disorder. So, in the Document Size section of the Image Size Dialog Box, I change the width to 1 inch, the height to 1.5 inches (again, those are for a portrait-oriented shot -- just flip them for a landscape-oriented shot), and I change the resolution to 2336 pixels per inch -- that keeps the file size at 23.4 megabytes.

My question is: what do I do in regard to the Resample Image section of the Image Size Dialog Box? Do I "check" the box or "uncheck" the box? And if I "check" the box, then which resampling method do I choose from the drop-down box (Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic Sharper)?!?!

Thank you in advance,
Jay Coffelt

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Which Resampling Method Should I Use?
on Dec 30, 2011 at 5:32:11 am

Try them all and see which one looks best to you. I use the default and sharpen when shrinking images down to web size, then I usually fade the sharpen to my liking. If I scale something up that's small, say a screen capture from a web page that I want to blow up into something for print at 300dpi, I use nearest neighbor.

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]