FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preserve Multiply Blend mode without the base blend layer?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Preserve Multiply Blend mode without the base blend layer?
on Dec 17, 2011 at 6:33:27 pm

Hi.

I have a problem I've been trying to solve for weeks. I've created blood that goes over a person's clothes in Photoshop. The person is, of course the bottom layer and the blood is made out of a series of layers of blood elements against white that I've multiplied together. Basically, I want to get rid of the base layer and then import the photoshop file into Nuke and composite the blood over the a video segment of the person. However, there doesn't seem to be any way in photoshop to rasterize the result of the multiplied pixels on the blood layers. Am I missing something? Why can't I just preserve the multipled look of the blood on the blood layers and remove the bottom layer? It seems like the bottom layer is required to see the result of the multiplied blood. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Preserve Multiply Blend mode without the base blend layer?
on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:49:40 am

Delete the base layer then save your image in a format with transparency - Targa, PNG for example. What Photoshop will do is "flatten" the image for you but it will maintain your look while also maintaining transparency.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:08:43 am

Hi,

This doesn't work. The multiplied look is lost the moment you remove the base layer. The best solution I found (but not perfect) is to put the base layer above the "top" layer and multiply the base layer over the "top" layer. Then, you make the base layer a clipping mask by pressing cmd+alt+g. Then, flatten the image and it is a normal blend layer, with the multiplied look, with transparency. It does have some artifacts in Nuke though. PNG is a compressed format and Targa is only 8 bit. I wish 16 bit tiffs worked well in Nuke, but they don't. The Foundry told me they're working on it.

Return to posts index

Lorne Bourdo
on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:32:16 pm

Hello Scott,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to get a t-shirt mockup saved as a transparent png with the tshirt shadows and textures included, so I can overlay in HTML with color behind it and show different colored shirts. But everytime I turn off the base layer color, it turns white and not transparent.

Thanks,
Lorne

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:58:10 am

Hey, Lorne.

I never found a perfect solution to my problem. In my case, I had to recreate a lot of the photoshop work in Nuke. Your case sounds different.

I'm not a regular Photoshop user anymore, but is there a "preserve transparency" button that you can select when you save a .png file, like when you save a .tiff file? If you had the transparency baked into your file, I'm not sure if you could then use an overlay blend mode to get the desired result. I can't off the top of my head recall how the pixel blending math works for an overlay. I must admit, I don't really follow your question 100%. The reality is that blend modes work differently in different programs, even though they should in theory work the same in every one. So, I wouldn't be prepared to have the same results as in Photoshop.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]