FORUMS: list search recent posts

Actions - Optimize file size

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Zygadlo
Actions - Optimize file size
on Dec 6, 2011 at 3:08:16 pm

Good evening,
I'm trying to create an "Action" for batch processing the "Save for the web" method.
I've different banner sizes - (200x200, 120x600 etc) which needs to come under 40K which loops twice and another one that loops forever.

When I record the action, I take the following steps:

• File | Save for the web & devices...

• Using the little arrow above the 'optimized' checkbox, I select the 'Optimize to file size...' menu item.

• Set desired file size to 40k

• Leave the 'Start with current settings' option button selected.

• Click the 'Ok' button on the 'Optimize to file size' pop up

• Set the loop option to forever

• Clicked on 'Save' button

• Browse to a folder called - 'loop'

• Then clicked on 'Ok' button to confirm

• I make another action and repeat stage but instead I make a loop that loops twice and holds.
  • This set is place into another folder called 'hold'

• The last stage, I made a 'close' project command in the action

When I manual run the action on other set of banners and test the file size... Some of the final banners are going over 40K; ignoring the 'Optimize to file size' command and giving sizes like 42k, 50k etc.

I discovered on the internet, this problem been around for Version 6 but I would have thought C5.5 would have fixed this issue?

Can I make an action which optimize the file size in the 'Save for web & device' window?

Any suggestions?

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915
http://www.jarbrain.com
'Filled with brainy goodness.'

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Actions - Optimize file size
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:28:30 pm

No the problem is that it is saving the quality percentages and such in the action which will give different file sizes for different files - the actual act of setting to a specific file size is a delicate balancing act in the software and not that simple to script. I would look hard at the quality numbers, bit depths, color palettes, compression numbers, etc. Can you post the offending files? This is all speculation unless we can see the file.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]