FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor and Calibration

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Monitor and Calibration
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:29:09 pm

Hello,

Just looking for any recommendations on a good monitor and way to calibrate it for photoshop and lightroom.

Right now I have a ViewSonic VG2230wm. I'm using Spyder3 express too, but it always seems to make the screen much too warm.

Any success stories without spending an arm and a leg? Are there other monitors that are better? Is an XRite probe that much better?

Thanks in advanced!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Monitor and Calibration
on Oct 31, 2011 at 5:46:00 pm

There are a few things to consider.

1. Are you letting your monitor warm up for at least a half hour before calibration? I've heard anecdotal evidence that this helps improve the calibration result of higher quality LCDs because of the backlights they use.

2. I would assume your monitor is set to 6500k. If you're not use to working on a calibrated monitor, yes they will look much warmer because consumer monitors are factory set to be very blue (~9000k).

3. What is the lighting situation in your editing room? Are you using D65 rated lightbulbs? Your eyes aren't perfect light reading machines and can be easily influenced by the quality of light in the room and the color of objects around your workstation (if they're large enough). I suggest daylight bulbs over working in the dark as it reduces eye fatigue.

4. Have you taken any image to full printed output with a calibrated printing service and seen huge mismatches? Again, this qualitative test is best done if you have D65 lighting.

Angelo Lorenzo
http://filmsfor.us - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]