FORUMS: list search recent posts

SHIFT + CMD + 3 (or 4). Safe to Use with Photoshop?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie Hill
SHIFT + CMD + 3 (or 4). Safe to Use with Photoshop?
on Oct 2, 2011 at 5:51:21 am

I have a question regarding JPEG quality degradation, and wondering if someone could kindly help me out.

I have only been using photoshop for a month. I'm studying with the manual and things are getting easier everytime i go back to use it, however i find myself making things easier and sometimes doing screengrabs of pictures from other sources using the SHIFT+ CMD + 3 (or 4) commands.

Is this a common command used by Photoshop users in their workflow, or is it something to be avoided?

Does it cause quality loss in any way?

Thanks in advance to anyone that could share some advice on this topic! I would really like to know whether or not i'm going wrong by using this command in my workflow.

Freddie

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: SHIFT + CMD + 3 (or 4). Safe to Use with Photoshop?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:44:48 pm

It's a risky practice at best. For one thing, your image might not be at full resolution when you take the screenshot. Then there are color-space and -depth issues that could cause problems, as a screenshot is a picture of how your monitor is interpreting the image, which isn't always the same as what the image is (for instance, if the image were 10-bit, the screenshot would only capture an 8-bit interpretation of it.

Then again, if it's working for a particular project keep going. But it's good to be aware of potential pitfalls.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Freddie Hill
Re: SHIFT + CMD + 3 (or 4). Safe to Use with Photoshop?
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:15:59 pm

Thanks for that advice, it's cleared things up for me.
I didn't really think of any of those things!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]