FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chromatic Aberration (2)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
Chromatic Aberration (2)
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:58:35 pm

Hi.

Appologies for the re post but I realaised the link in my earlier post did not work...

I'm trying to achieve an extreme Chromatic Aberration look for a project I'm working on but though I can get a decent result I can't quite seem to get what I'm after. The image below is pretty much exactly what I want to achieve. Could anyone pick apart what was done to get this look?

Thanks

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Chromatic Aberration (2)
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:02:15 pm

Separate the Red, Green, and Blue channels, set them all to Add mode (with a black plate underneath them). Then move around each of the three images to your heart's content! In the example you posted, the Red channel is the only one that's being shifted -- down and to the right. Green+Blue makes Cyan in additive-color land, and the red, by itself, makes the red part:

Remember that black is absence of color. So the lightness of her cheek goes red in the down-and-right direction, while darkness of her hair goes cyan in the down-and-right direction.

You can get my PS file that made the above sample here.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:45:10 pm

Thanks that's great advice.

I'm new to splitting channels so could you help me a little with the proccess? I can select Split Channels from the channels menu but this then opens 3 greyscale windows of the original image, what should I do from here? Am I on the right path or completely wrong?

Thank again for your help.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:47:11 pm

Take a look at the PSD file I provided (link in previous post of this thread). I use the Channel Mixer filter: Set the Red to 100% and Blue and Green to 0% for the Red channel, Blue to 100% and Red and Green to 0% for the Green, etc.....

In the example I provided I used adjustment layers. You could actually resize that comp to the size you are using and replace the image in each folder with your own image, then move them to your own delight.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:52:44 pm

Thanks that's perfect. I was just missing the step where I should set the two colours to 0%.

That's a good tip about simply replacing the images too. That'll save me a bit of time in the future!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]