FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kerning settings in PS

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Olmsted
Kerning settings in PS
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:17:58 pm

Hi guys,

I'm definitely an 'amateur-pro' PS user... I hope this isn't too much of a 'newbie' question.

I create a lot of text in PS, and am familiar with two main methods of kerning- the 'option+arrow key' shifting method and the 'highlight a letter and grab/slide the kerning icon in the character window' method.

So lately I've been dealing a lot more with script and sign-type fonts and I'm having kerning issues. I prefer the 'option+arrow' method of kerning because I can quickly move from letter to letter and adjust with keystrokes. I dislike having to highlight letters each time and grabbing the slider to kern.

The default kern for the option+arrow method is 20. Can I change this? I couldn't find anything in the preferences. I don't know if it can't be changed or I need to look somewhere else or maybe there's another keyboard combo I don't know. With thin, connecting script fonts, 20 sometimes means the difference between not connecting and overshooting.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help regarding this. Oh, I'm in CS5.5 but depending on the day, sometimes I'm on CS4.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Kerning settings in PS
on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:57:31 pm

I've noticed that, for the most, the default setting is usually too much. So I just adjust it the type palette manually if necessary. I don't think you can change the default. And, I don't know if that "high" of a default is necessary as a balance between really small type or really large.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]