FORUMS: list search recent posts

MBP 2011 vs DELL Precision M6600 for Photoshop/Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis Dav
MBP 2011 vs DELL Precision M6600 for Photoshop/Premiere
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:47:43 pm

Dear All,

I'm about to buy a new notebook which I should use next 3-4 years.
What I basically do is:
1) retouching in Photoshop (that could be some 100MP files scanned from 6x7cm medium format positives/negatives)
2) editing of AVCHD

I'm thinking between MBP 2011 15'' 2.2 and Dell Precision M6600.

DEll: 2.2 i7 / 8Gb 1333MHz / 2 Gb Nvidia 3000M / antiglare 1920x1080 17''
MBP: 2.2 i7 / 4Gb 1333Mhz / 1 GB ATI HD 6750M / antiglare 1600x... 15''

I was working on hakintosh for one year (desktop PC, 2.6Mhz i7,GTX260,6GB,...) and I love OS-X. But I travel a lot and so i need some mobile option.

Now, with that CS5.5 and MPE which supports only NVidia GPU with CUDA, I don't really know what to buy. If only MBP would be with NVidia Quadra and new i7 processor with thunderbolt, I would go for it. But considering that I would like to use that notebook for as long as possible, and I don't plan to go for 2K/4K editing anyway, especially on notebook, I really would like to have the best value for the money.

If for editing I can still chose between FCP and Premiere and hope that FCP X will be able to handle AVCHD without conversion to ProRes, for retouching photos i'm definetely with Photoshop and then it would probably be nice to use GPU and make things faster.

I would really appreciate any advises or comments on that.

Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Denis.

Return to posts index

Jaime Montaño
Re: MBP 2011 vs DELL Precision M6600 for Photoshop/Premiere
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:02:05 pm

Given the features of both laptops, they look alike. But I do prefer OSX over Windows anytime. It's more functional for me and it feels snappier. More responsive.

Just got a MBP like the one on your post but without the Increased Resolution option. The thing screams! It's just the fastest laptop I've ever worked on. It runs the Adobe Software like butter. Once you tweak your Ps and Ae settings properly, you're good to go. Buy some ram from OWC to mak out your MBP.

Another advantage it's the quality of the chasis. The MBP feels solid. Every other laptop, specially the ones from Dell, feels like cheap plastic. Besides, in a few years if you try to sell it, the MBP holds better its value in the market. You will have a hard time trying to sell a Dell Laptop in 3 or 4 years.

Disclaimer: Mac user since 2004. Former owner of an iMac G5, MBP early 2008

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]