FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filters on empty layers

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Schmidt
Filters on empty layers
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:38:56 am

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure this can't be done, but I'll ask anyways. I use After Effects all the time and it's so easy to do this so I'm hoping Photoshop can as well. I would like to drop Knoll light factory flares onto an empty layer so I can move, adjust and composite on top of other layers. I see that you can't drop filters onto empty layers which is a pain. After Effects allows you to drop effects like Video Copilots Optical flares onto solids and the composite and can adjust on top of others. Also in AE you can drop effects onto an empty adjustment layer and it will composite on layers below. I do know about filling a layer with black then adding light factory and changing the blend so screen. I might be talking in circles but I hope I'm getting my point across. Is there any way pf doing this?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Filters on empty layers
on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18:23 pm

No filter adjustments

You can apply many filters as smart filters (convert layer to smart object first).

I case of flares... can make a black empty layer and apply filter (then set it to screen mode)

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Todd Schmidt
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:35:18 pm

Thanks Richard...that's what I suspected. I did create a black layer set to screen and applied Knoll to it. I'm hoping Photoshop take s a page form it's sister program After Effects and starts making better composting adjustments with more control.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:03:33 pm

Try applying effects to smart objects... then click the blending controls inline with the effect.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:08:09 am

I'm a user of After Effects as well and wonder when the two programs will merge into one - the two apps are starting to overlap in capabilities. There are some things I do in After Effects, on a single, high res frame, apply effects and save to be dropped into a photoshop composition for print work.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]