FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to do Exact measurements and Formatting for words and texts on photoshop?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenji Kitaoli
How to do Exact measurements and Formatting for words and texts on photoshop?
on May 10, 2011 at 11:26:06 am

I am having a problem for a simple thing, and I can't find exactly what I am looking for on the net..

It's basically taking exact measurements and putting texts and lines with specific positions and lengths.

1. If I have variety of texts made on photoshop or illustrator, and I want to draw a lines underneath it, which has the exact same lengths as the words, how would I go about? (I can not use underline bar which comes within text option, the line has to be a different layer)

2. How do I make lists of words with exact spacing between each column?

So far, I do them by intuition and zoom in a lot to make them look properly formated..

I remember a friend of mine using photoshop/illustrator and the ruler lines would appear to help him snap words and lines to exact positions..

It's got to be a simple thing!!

My aim is to create an overlay data (The lines under the texts) and the background data(Lists of words) to use them in the DVD Studio Pro. So, they have to look properly formatted.

Many thanks in advance
Kenji

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: How to do Exact measurements and Formatting for words and texts on photoshop?
on May 12, 2011 at 5:11:41 am

Do this:

So far, I do them by intuition and zoom in a lot to make them look properly formated.

OR

In Illustrator, use guides and CTRL-U or APPLE-U for smart guides.

The latest versions of Photoshop has the ability to automatically detect edges to help you line things up as well.

http://www.graphicsdump.com

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: How to do Exact measurements and Formatting for words and texts on photoshop?
on May 13, 2011 at 9:49:25 pm

[Kenji Kitaoli] "1. If I have variety of texts made on photoshop or illustrator, and I want to draw a lines underneath it, which has the exact same lengths as the words, how would I go about?"

The easiest way is to drag a guide line onto your document. Make sure the rulers are tuned on, then click on the horizontal or vertical ruler and drag into your document. Drop the guide line where you want it (at the end of text characters, for example), then draw your underline with the line tool. You can make the ends snap to the guide lines.

[Kenji Kitaoli] "2. How do I make lists of words with exact spacing between each column?"

Get the start position of a word close to where you want it using spaces to pad out the empty space, then type the next word. Do the final alignment using the character-pair kerning function to finely adjust the position of the word (ALT+ left or right arrow). You might want to use a guide line to make it easier to line up a column of text.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Kenji Kitaoli
on May 16, 2011 at 4:08:20 pm

Thank you very much for the response, it works great!
The grid and the ruler lines really helped me to make it look good!

Kenji

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]