FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ps vs. AE

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Paquette
Ps vs. AE
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:35:01 pm

I have just begun reading Richard Harrington's new book, "Photoshop for Video." Already I've learned some new things, but have developed a question I suspect others may have. Ps and After Effects perform many comparable functions. For video work, AE is generally able to apply its functions procedurally, that is, automatically. Ps, on the other hand, applies functions one frame at a time (though actions and batch processing can certainly be considered procedural). So, take a function such as scaling. Both programs do it and I have experimented with up-scaling DV Standard to DV Wide using Ps and the results look great. But, I could have done the exact same thing in AE with a lot less work - though less control. Specifically, Ps give a choice of scaling algorithms whereas AE doesn't.

So, for this and many other functions (color correction?), on what basis would I use Ps vs. AE? I'd appreciate some general guidance. Thanks, Dale

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Ps vs. AE
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:38:44 pm

Not one frame at a time via psextended

We show several examples in book such as lab shadow gighligts. Curves. Etc where ps stronger. Work as smart objects. More flexibility for paint and a few key areas.

In ADobe Press Mograf techniques book we go head to head and map where to use each.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Dale Paquette
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:35:10 pm

Thanks. Can you provide a reference to the Adobe Press book you mention - I can't seem to trace it. Dale

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:20:25 am

Adobe Motion Graphics Book is on sale this week for $9.99 as an ebook @Peachpit: http://bit.ly/dJuUWm

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]