FORUMS: list search recent posts

Funky CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Radelat
Funky CS5
on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:34:07 am

I recently updated to CS5 from CS3, and I'm noticing some things that don't seem right to me.

First, the brushes feel as though they have a "hot spot" in the middle. I know there's always been a falloff with brushes, but this feels more pronounced. I work with a mouse. Are there any changes made to the basic brush action in CS5 or CS4 from CS3? If so is there a way to bring it back to how it was in CS3?

The other thing I'm noticing is "rubbery" selection tools. When using the marque tool for instance, there is a moment's drag and a delayed following of the cursor. It's always a step behind and makes the whole process. Is this possibly related to the OpenGL settings?

The machine this is on is a 6-core Phenom Win 7 64-bit machine with 16 gigs of ram, so there's no shortage of processing resources. It does have a basic graphics card, a 512-meg MSI Radeon R4350, but my CS3 system runs Win XP on an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ with 2 gigs of ram and a 256-meg GeForce 6100 NForce 405 card and it's far more responsive than the CS5 setup.

Anyway, any ideas what may be the cause of these symptoms will be appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Funky CS5
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:53:46 pm

There are new brushes in CS5 including Dynamic ones. Also look at brush settings and see if any shape dynamics are on.

Selections haven't changes much. Do check your memory settings and follow Photoshop's recommendations in the control panel

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:01:39 am

My two cents' worth...

Interesting that you're noticing delays in your Photoshop CS5. I recently "upgraded" to CS5 from CS4 and am regretting it - Photoshop is now REALLY SLOW and After Effects is very unstable. I'm using a Mac Pro 8x 2.4GHz with 12GB RAM (and a fibrechannel SAN with at least 30TB free) so it should be able to cope.

Very disappointed.

Return to posts index

Phil Radelat
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:06:54 am

Well, it turned out to be the OpenGL setting. I shut it off, and PShop was back to normal.

I'm curious, Paul, do you have an ATI or nVidia card in your Mac? Apparently Adobe got chummy with nVidia in developing CS5 and left ATI out in the cold. I think the OpenGL behavior I saw has something to do with this, as my card is a Radeon variant. Personally I think it was totally bogus on the part of Adobe to do this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]