FORUMS: list search recent posts

printing large photos

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aubrey Fields
printing large photos
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:40:25 am

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am trying to print a photo that is 77 inches x 42 inches. I am using an intel imac 10.5.8 with 4 gig ram and an HP Z3100.
I am using Photoshop CS3.
The resolution of the print is 242ppi. and its size is 66 mb. Its 18631 x 10192 pixels
When I click print it spools for about 15 seconds then the window disappears and nothing happens.
Only when I reduce the resolution to 140ppi (10746 x 5879) will the print spool onto the printer.
I don't understand why it wont print above 140ppi?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Aubrey.

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: printing large photos
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:50:16 am

Can you call your printer's customer service and inquire about this. they may be able to provide some insight. What kind of cable are you using to connect?

C.R.

Return to posts index

Aubrey Fields
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:59:27 am

Thanks for the reply Christina,
The printer is connected via a USB cable. That seems the only way to connect. Other than that there is a ethernet socket.
I'll try to see if HP can give me any ideas. I have kind of given up on HP though after it took me 4 months of back and forward communication as I was attempting to order the media for these prints. After 4 months I received an email saying that I had to order a minimum of 50 rolls! So I chose another brand:-)

Martin.

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:28:56 pm

I think that the USB cable cannot handle so much data at a time, which is why you can also connect the printer via Ethernet cable.

Read this about USB and Ethernet: (from http://www.ehow.com/facts_6908544_ethernet-cable-vs_-usb.html)
Ethernet Cables
Ethernet cables are primarily used to connect computers to the Internet, via cable or DSL networks. Since Ethernet cables are specifically designed for this task, they excel in data transfer speed, reliability, and compatibility for Internet-related connectivity.
USB Cables
USB cables are used to connect a wide range of devices, including computer gamepads, scanners, printers, mice, keyboards and more. The downfall of USB cables is primarily their speed, allowing a maximum data transfer rate of 12 MB/s, which is significantly lower than the potential 100 MB/s transfer rate of Ethernet cables.

HP also has a forum which may be able to provide with better/quicker info.

Read more: Ethernet Cable Vs. USB | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6908544_ethernet-cable-vs_-usb.html#ixzz18IwUhyYX

C.R.

Return to posts index

Aubrey Fields
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:55:08 am

Thank you again Christina,
Your help is very much appreciated. I will buy an ethernet cable and try printing the image again. I did one large print at 140ppi on canvas, and it looked fine — although I would like to be able to print at the maximum ppi if possible, so I will definitely try the ethernet way.
Best regards,
Martin.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Dec 18, 2010 at 4:21:30 am

Use the image size command and set the image size and resolution. 300 ppi should be more than adequate for printing outside of a press.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Josh Kirtland
on Dec 27, 2010 at 5:49:19 pm

Is it possible it could be a file format issue? I wonder if changing it to .psb (large file format) would help the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]