FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't do anything because of cursor problem

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Hauser
Can't do anything because of cursor problem
on Dec 11, 2010 at 10:12:21 am

I speak with little hyperbole. This is the strangest thing that's ever happened in my history of using computers. ONLY in Photoshop CS5, everywhere I put the cursor over (canvas, menus, toolbars, preference window, etc), it's not the normal black Mac cursor, or the cursor it's supposed to be in the canvas (like a circle for the brush tool). It's the black Mac cursor with a little black rectangle to the right of it. I normally get this cursor by holding option, but now holding option gets rid of it! This wouldn't be much of a problem, except I can't do anything in the canvas when the cursor is in this mode. The only thing I figured out to do is use the brush tool which I do by holding the option key to get rid of the odd cursor.
I desperately need help...
I couldn't find an image of what the nefarious cursor looks like, so I had to draw one, and since I can only use the brush tool, this is what I was able to do.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4479/cursorc.jpg
(No, I'm not using Paint, and no, I'm not 9 years old).

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: Can't do anything because of cursor problem
on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:57:05 am

That's a context sensitive menu that normally is activated by clicking the control key on your board, at least on mac. Could it be that your ctrl key is stuck? If not try reinstalling photoshop again. When I upgraded to CS5 the one piece I had to reinstall was Photoshop, when I got the upgrade in my office the same happened, chances are that will fix your issue.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hauser
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:17:52 am

Thanks for the tip. That was going to be a last resort, but I ended up doing it. I couldn't believe it, but the problem is still there. I don't know what to do now. I'm at a loss. I think I'll start business school.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hauser
on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:41:17 am

Still no luck, but I'll fill you in on what's going on. I'm using a new Mac Pro with everything transferred from my MacBook Pro. Photoshop used to work on this Mac Pro and still works on my MacBook Pro.
Any ideas?
This whole thing sort of reminds me of how if you turn on a Nintendo 64 with the A button for example held down during startup, then the system thinks the A button is continuously held down. That's probably useless...

Is there anyway to COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY remove Photoshop from my system? I already uninstalled and checked "Remove Prefs"

Return to posts index

Jeff Hauser
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:30:34 am

Sorry for the quintuple post or whatever, but just thought I'd mention that it's fixed!!

I launched PS and then began googling NVidia photoshop cursor stuff. Then Photoshop was done launching and opened. I switched to PS to confirm the problem, and... IT'S MYSTERIOUSLY FIXED.
It wasn't working last night, and I didn't do anything regarding PS. Just worked with a client in Final Cut Pro. But now it's better.
I noticed that the cursor was set to the "standard" cursor (the brush when painting). I've always used the circle cursor when painting, so maybe my cursor prefs were deleted overnight.

Anyways, I'm happy. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]