FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic wand, paths and slicing an image.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jones
Magic wand, paths and slicing an image.
on Nov 21, 2010 at 6:00:05 pm

Guess I'll start off straight away with the question to give you an idea of what the issue is. Is there a way to add to a magic wand selection by using the pen tool via different layers?

Basically what the problem is, is that I'm trying to slice an image up into individual parts, to then 'rebuild' them in an animation and if I could do what I'm thinking then it would make my life much easier.

What I'm thinking is that now I've extracted the most tricky part manually with the extraction filter tool (in this case two people) and put that selection onto it's own layer it would be extremely useful to be able to use the 'dotted ant line' I get from using the magic wand tool on that new layer and then add to it using the pen tool to extract the more geometric shapes from around the tricky part on an unedited duplicate of the original image.

I know I could just manually do all the shapes again but my line of thought is that if I can use the 'line/path' of the ants as my base for the other selections then they should match up almost perfectly, where as manually I'm sure to have many gaps as I trace around the people or use the extraction filter.

Basically the image is of two people who are surrounded by much simpler shapes where the pen tool would rule if only I could intersect the dotted ant line as my original extraction is really precise.

I hope I've explained my issue well enough, because even I zone out when reading some parts back to myself, it was quite tough but if there's confusion I could probably mock up a rough picture which should help to illustrate the issue more. If anyone has any ideas they'd be greatly appreciated, maybe even a completely different approach.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
Re: Magic wand, paths and slicing an image.
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:43:05 pm

To add a new selection to an excisting selection, just press Shift while drawing the second selection (or press Alt to remove the new selection from the old selection).

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]