FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to change a b&w image into equiv red image?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Beck
how to change a b&w image into equiv red image?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:24:07 am

I'm struggling with this... I've got an image at http://www.cartala.com/test.psd which is a scan of B&W image. I've tried every which way, but can't seem to get it to turn into a red color instead of any black. I'd like to have some kind of adjustment layer attached to it so I can use a slider to tweak the color balance to just the right red that I decide upon. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Derek

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: how to change a b&w image into equiv red image?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:14:32 pm

Image > Adjustments > Curves...

Green and Blue all the way down to the bottom of the graph on the right, red up some from the left.

Do not use the RGB curve, break them out individually using the pulldown menu.

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:30:27 pm

Thanks Alan, but the result is what I was finding when I toyed with other adjustment layes: that is: the white edges around the two marks turn color, but the black remains, as is seen here: http://www.cartala.com/test2.psd

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:47:33 pm

Well, here's what I got:

Take the green and blue all the way down, raise the red from "0" to 255.

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:44:13 pm

very strange.... could it be b/c i'm using photoshop cs3? a bug?

I notice on my version (test2 above), your method clips off all of the gradual fade around the edges too, so that the it becomes either red or black, with no shaded or soft edges in between.

in any event, is there another way to go about it then? perhaps a mask (the element I have the least skill with in photoshop)?

derek

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 18, 2010 at 11:03:25 pm

I'm using CS3 as well. Do your conversion, then select the red and feather the selection by the desired amount. You'll get soft edges back that way.

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Oct 19, 2010 at 7:02:51 am

Alan,

Thanks again. I guess I didn't quite follow your instructions on the first post exactly to the T, but have now reproduced your results. I understand the feathering approach you suggest, but I'm looking to try to more precisely keep the pixels as they are on the original, only red, mostly because I'm a perfectionist, and this is a snippet of a historical handwriting that I am trying to preserve as much as possible as the original.

With that said, is there another way to do this, to replace the pixels one for one with their "opacity" preserved, such that the central pixels being 100% black become pixels of 100% red, and the edge pixels that are say 50% black and 50% white become 50% red and 50% white (or really, I'd like 'em to become 50% red, 50% transparent)?

Why does color replacer not seem to work on this? Or any other adjustment filter I try?

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:20:24 pm

Something else is going on. When I tried to select the "empty" background, there were some areas that read as having something in them. And there was an area selected that had no (visible) picture information when I selected the mark on the left.

I've highlighted some of the strangeness here...

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:18:37 am

The original is from a B&W scan of a document that I have in PDF. I used the "Snapshot Tool" to select the text I wanted and captured it. I then pasted it into a new image in Photoshop and erased all of the noisy surroundings. The stuff you have found is stuff I missed, that was not apparent to me on the grey and white checkboard transparent background.

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:19:43 am

Got it.

I think you're maybe going to want to compromise on the feathering, or else you're setting yourself up for a ton of slow hand work. Just from looking at the piece you linked, that seems like how it's likely.

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:52:58 am

Alan,

I think you are right. I'll play around with feathering and try to find a close match. Thank you so much for your time.

Derek

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

Derek Beck
on Nov 13, 2010 at 12:06:29 am

Here's how it turned out: (the header image for http://www.1775thebook.com ). Thanks again for your help!

Derek Beck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]