FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reproducing/Restoring Old Labels ???

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Britt Abbott
Reproducing/Restoring Old Labels ???
on Oct 17, 2010 at 4:26:48 pm

Hello... I'm new to the forum and I have a question for you experts in graphics and scanning. I collect old tube radios from the 1920s and 1930s. In many cases the original paper labels are either missing, torn, or damamged. Somtimes I'm able to get a digital scan of a slightly damaged label. Typically, the labels are in the 1" x 2" rectangular realm and the labels sometimes have pictures of the radio tube layout or small schematic embedded in the label.
My question is what would be the best software program to use in cleaning up/repairing a scan to make a reproduction label, or create a new reproduction label.
Thanks,
Britt

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Reproducing/Restoring Old Labels ???
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:12:18 am

Photoshop in my opinion. Illustrator is great for designing new labels also, but to simulate the older printing presses of that era you want softer bitmapped type, and can add in some noise.

So you can start in illustrator, but smudge it up in phothshop, and you can use (filter >> texture >> texturizer>> sandstone texture >> elief 1 or 2) on your background color to make it look like the paper you are printing on has more texture. You can also put a small bevel on your type to make it look embossed from what an Intaglio press would do.

Return to posts index

jon leopold
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:24:23 am

I would also suggest photoshop. If you're asking what program to use, I'll assume you don't know illustrator or photoshop really well and I would then say you could save yourself some time of only learning one program. Do it all in photoshop.

Take the scan of an old one open it up in ps, I would use the clone tool (chcek out some tutorials on clone stamp/ clone tool) to fix up the cracks, ripped parts etc... It will copy the textures from the original and reproduce them. With some practice you can reconstruct it flawlessly. You may also have to draw or re-draw some of the lines and text etc... Good luck.

Thanks very much... High School Media Teacher, multiple Macs (tiger and snow leopard- mac pros, imacs, emacs) and PCs

Return to posts index

Britt Abbott
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:30:53 am

Thanks so much for the response. Sounds like Photoshop is the way to go!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]