FORUMS: list search recent posts

banding problem when merging video with still photograph

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marie Clyde
banding problem when merging video with still photograph
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:54:52 am

I'm new to the world of video, any help would be appreciated.

I'm putting together a video combining HD footage from a Canon 5D Mark II and a still photograph. I'm getting severe banding when the Video merges with the still photograph. Does anyone know what causes this/how to fix??! I'm using Photoshop CS5 Extended.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: banding problem when merging video with still photograph
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:32:37 am

Not sure what you mean by banding

1. What are you editing in
2. What file format are your stills
3. What size are your stills

May I also suggest you pick up a copy of Photoshop for Video from the Cow Store.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Marie Clyde
on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:46:04 am

Thanks for responding.

The background was lit with a spotlight, creating a light/bright green center that gradates out to a dark green at the top of the frame. The banding occurs in the gradient background of the image.

1) I'm doing my editing in photoshop CS5 extended.

2) My still photographs that I added to the Video are PSD files.

3) The still images are 768px x 1024px @ 300 dpi. I resized them from the original size (18x24@300dpi).

The video I imported was shot at the highest resolution possible on the 5D Mark II.

Today, I was able to get some of the banding to go away by adding noise and adjusting the saturation on the background. Unfortunately, when I imported the file to iMovie (to add music), the quality I had gained by adding the noise and adjusting the Hue/Saturation in Photoshop fell apart and the banding came back. I can't figure out why the quality would change so much just by taking it into iMovie to add music.

I realize iMovie and Photoshop Extended aren't the best programs to be editing/adding music in, but that is what I have at this time.

I will check out the book you recommended. In the meantime, any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:26:27 am

Not sure what you mean by merging

But would leve editing to the editing application

When you export video from Photoshop, be sure to use Apple Intermediate Codec and set quality to mac

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Marie Clyde
on Oct 12, 2010 at 4:59:06 am

In regards to the 'merging', I have a video of smoke screened against a still photograph background that eventually disappears and all that's left is the still photograph.

Thanks for the export information, I do appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:10:26 am

Banding is usually found in a gradient where there's not enough "steps" of color values to make up the gradient, so the steps become visible. A workaround, which may or may not work for you, is to add noise.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]