FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client can't open my jpegs

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Miale
Client can't open my jpegs
on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:27:57 pm

I'm on a Mac with CS2. I have a client who can't open jpegs I make by saving-as from psd files (or by saving-for-web). He has no problem with jpegs from elsewhere. Please advise.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Client can't open my jpegs
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:52:54 am

Since you're on a Mac and you're client may not be, make sure you're using extensions on the files. And, it usually doesn't matter these days, but have you tried using the .jpg extension instead of .jpeg? If the person's computer is old and/or has never encountered files with .jpeg extensions before, it may not recognize such files as JPGs without the user first telling the O/S what software to open them with.

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:24:13 am

Yes. The extensions are always jpg.

I guess the problem is at the client's end, hm?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:19:06 pm

[Walter Miale] "I guess the problem is at the client's end, hm?"

Actually, it doesn't sound that way at all since you already confirmed that "He has no problem with jpegs from elsewhere." Plus, most clients will not take kindly to you suggesting that they're doing something wrong so it's best to be 110% certain that is the case before you tell them that. I would take the JPGs you're saving to someone else's computer (a Windows machine if that's what your client is using), see if they open and troubleshoot from there.

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:32:09 am

Almost (at least) everybody else opens them, no problem.

Calling Sherlock Holmes........

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Sep 29, 2010 at 3:19:05 am

Very basic question here: Are you sending them electronically or giving the client the files on a stick drive or something possibly Mac-formatted, that they can't read?

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Sep 29, 2010 at 3:51:58 am

As email attachments. I may have also uploaded them to the Web for him to try downloading too, but am not sure.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:18:58 pm

Sparking my curiosity can be somewhat dangerous...

When you email your client the files, can he see the file but just not open it, or is it coming as an encoded attachment that he can't decode?

I had this issue with a colleague on document files last week. She couldn't decode what my mailer was doing to the attachments. A YouSendIt transfer solved the problem.

Return to posts index

jon leopold
on Oct 23, 2010 at 9:37:16 pm

Hi, new to 'the cow' thought i'd take a shot and re-phrase what someone else already suggested. I've had a lot of cross platform experience and I can't tell you how many times I'll save a .jpg file on a mac and have it simply vanish when it gets onto my pc. It's definitely been saved as a .jpg. I'm not sure what is causing it but it only happens sometimes. I can copy a whole bunch of files and only one or two of them will lose their file extension. It's not a problem for me as I just add them on in windows but... I would suggest emailing (in the same way) yourself or a colleague/ friend who has a pc (possibly using a same account type (ex. if your client is using a gmail vs. yahoo etc..) or is it a corporate email ? It could be a problem with the email system. Good luck.

Thanks very much... High School Media Teacher, multiple Macs (tiger and snow leopard- mac pros, imacs, emacs) and PCs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]