FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop CS5 Type Tool Freeze

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sal Joseph
Photoshop CS5 Type Tool Freeze
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:24:07 pm

Anyone using Photoshop CS5 on a Mac experience a freeze when you select the type tool. It's quite frustrating waiting minutes to type.

Here's Adobe's suggestions:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/846/cpsid_84672.html

What I have tried so far to no avail are
•clearing Photoshop's Font Cache
•Turning Font preview off
•running adobe's font test script

Anyone able to get past this?

(Mac pro 8-core 2.8ghz, Leopard)

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Photoshop CS5 Type Tool Freeze
on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:11:52 am

Too many fonts loaded?

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Julia von Strauss
on Sep 5, 2010 at 6:02:35 pm

I have the same problem in Photoshop CS5 but NOT in CS4 with the same set of fonts...
Would be grateful for a solution.

Return to posts index

Sal Joseph
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:27:15 pm

I don't imagine I have more fonts than the average designer, and still, this isn't an acceptable rate of performance for a system that steadily handles much loftier tasks.

With all of my fonts highlighted, I ran a font validation in Font Book. I then disabled the fonts that came up with red X's. For the fonts with yellow !s, I went to Edit > Resolve Duplicates. That didn't outright solve the problem, but now the Type-Tool freeze isn't as long as it was - still an unacceptable wait for something that was instantaneous in previous versions of the software.

I've since read that this problem can be caused by bad fonts that don't throw up any red X's during font validation. The way to identify these fonts is by process of elimination - turning half of your fonts off, and then half of what's left, etc. The problem with that is, you may have multiple fonts causing the error.

There must be a better way.

Return to posts index

Michael Sisko
on Sep 11, 2010 at 1:04:48 pm

I have found that the issue with font is related to size and bit depth more the machine, I was working on a comp that needed a 1280x14000 pixels layout. I made the mistake of using 16 bit and tried to use text. I had to wait almost five before it would let me type anything. I then made smaller layers and just placed them in to the larger comp. While this is not a solution it is a work around.

Michael Sisko

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]