FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do i get this look?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanley Gucwa-Bucasas
How do i get this look?
on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:05:06 pm

http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/branded/files/2010/07/arod_thumb...

I am specifically talking about the Quarterback. I've also seen that look in a lot of movie posters.

I've played with contrast and "bleach bypass" but come nowhere near that almost, painted, shiny look.

Is it just a matter of enhancing highlights and shadows?

Return to posts index

Sacha Thomas
Re: How do i get this look?
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:56:53 pm

It looks like a color correction effect. If you look at the whites, they have a lot of cyan in them, leading me to believe the color was shifted. To be sure, we would probably need to know more about the lighting used, such as the color temperature of the bulbs.
In photoshop, chances are, the sky was "corrected" separately from the player, giving the image that artificial look. I would love to hear from someone who knows for sure how this is done.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:25:16 am

Shot with multiple flash units at various angles. This particular example is not that extreme. For a more "painterly" look, take a look at the work of Joey Lawrence for extreme post production or Dave Hill who does a lot of his work with strobes and compositing.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:49:34 pm

Look up HDR and Dave Hill Look

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Kev Holloway
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:10:59 am

My 2 cents:

Aside from the compositing the people/QB/sky, I think the look is pretty much down to lighting and RAW development.

Assuming you get the lighting right, in Lightroom (I'm sure PS has the same controls, it's just not in my workflow), jack up the contrast and clarity, then use the fill light and blacks controls to clip/compress the image a bit. You can use exposure to adjust a bit if pushing up the blacks clips too much of the image. Drop the saturation relative to how much more contrast you add.

Then use HSL to fine tune - bumping blue/aqua saturation can look great if the clothes are those colors (while dropping the rest), and you can fine tune the tonal range of the skin by playing with red/orange/yellow luminance.

I'm not saying that's how that one was done, but it might get you in the ball park for the painted shiny look. Oh, and when you're done in PS, duplicate the layer (or stamp), and set this new layer to Filter->other->high pass with a value between 3 and 8, and change the blending mode to soft light (or hard light if you want to mask it back).

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]