FORUMS: list search recent posts

CreateSpace cover art

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
CreateSpace cover art
on Aug 11, 2010 at 8:25:55 pm

I am new to Photoshop. I am trying to create cover art for a DVD and Amaray case, for CreateSpace. CreateSpace wants me to import their .pdf for use as a template, create my cover art, and then turn off their template before outputting to .gif or .jpg. Where can I find simple instructions for how to do that? Thanks.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: CreateSpace cover art
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:42:08 am

1. Open PDF in Photoshop (make sure resolution at least 200 ppi
2. Design with layers on top
3. Turn off or through away template layer
4. Save a PSD for future edits
5, Choose Save As and make a JPG (max quality) never use GIF

May I recommend you check out book and DVD called Understanding Adobe Photoshop...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 13, 2010 at 2:08:52 am

Hi Rich.

OK, I ordered the CS5 book and DVD from Amazon.com. It should be here sometime next week. I only have CS2 at the moment, but I am pretty sure it will translate :) I am on Vista x32 on this box.

One immediate issue: When I go into My Documents, all of my .pdf files now show a Photoshop icon, instead of the former .pdf icon. When I double-click them, sometimes they open in Photoshop, and other times they open in Adobe Reader.

How can I switch the .pdf file association and icons back?

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 13, 2010 at 2:17:08 am

Not a real issue. Just right click and choose open with or properties. That's more a fun toon of OS. Others it will open based on their preferences.

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:38:46 am

Thanks for your directions. I was able to make the Amaray case just fine, but the rulers in the supplied .pdf for the DVD Disc Face are three times too large. Their on-screen 1.0" is an actual 1.5" when you set the scale to 50%, and at 100% their 1.0" is 3.0", so the resultant Disc Face Template comes out too big.

973_dvddiscfacetemplate.pdf.zip

I can set the size to 33% and get my .jpg, but is there some way to resize their template rulers down to life-size scale? Or does CreateSpace just need to post a new .pdf?

Thanks.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:52:38 am

I tried putting the size to 33%, and it looked good on screen, but the resultant file came out at 300% size (still. Same place it was).

Is there some way I can drop the size on the output down to normal scale? Or should I look to print this on an LP? :) lol.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:30:40 am

Please don't be offended (its late and I am tired).

Template is fine.

Just open it in Photosohop
You can toggle its visiblity with the eyeball

It has detailed instructions. The percentage you see is Viewing percentage.. what it scales to fit on computer screeen. Has nothing to do with print.

1. Open file.
2. Don't change size or number in open dialog or with Image Size menu
3. Design using instructions in template
4. Place guide layer on top of drag up and down as needed.
5. Turn off their guide layer when ready to save

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]