FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading from CS3 to CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schmidt
Upgrading from CS3 to CS5
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:39:47 am

Hi,

I'll be upgrading from Photoshop CS3 to CS5 soon and have a couple of questions about the process:

1) Is there anything in particular I should be paying attention to? Or can I simply update without worries?
2) What will happen to my custom actions, keyboard-shortcuts, brushes, etc.?
3) Should I uninstall CS3 first?

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Upgrading from CS3 to CS5
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:57:10 pm

Not sure how to answer the first question other than to say is there really anything in life that one can do "without worries"?

[Daniel Schmidt] "What will happen to my custom actions, keyboard-shortcuts, brushes, etc.?"

Your CS3 custom actions, keyboard-shortcuts, brushes, etc. will remain in CS3 until/unless you import them to CS5 since they're separate suites of software (not "udpates"). The process is slightly different to import each and also differs depending on the platform you're on, but it is definitely possible (and is actually pretty intuitive). On rare occasion there's a change among versions that makes particular things incompatible (ie, some old actions).

[Daniel Schmidt] "Should I uninstall CS3 first"

That's a personal preference with valid arguments on both sides. Personally, I never uninstall my previous Adobe suite until I've worked with the new suite for at least several months and sometimes don't bother to uninstall it at all. However, keep in mind that they're separate large suites of software (not "udpates") so if, you decide to keep both, make sure you have enough drive space for both and do not try to install one over the other (it won't let you anyway, but it's best not to try). I've never had any problems having multiple versions installed.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:59:28 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Aug 5, 2010 at 8:12:12 pm

Glad to help. I'm certain everything I've said is accurate, but others will often chime in with details, etc. so it'll probably be beneficial to check back in a few days for any additional tips.

A couple general tips: When importing things from one version to another, consider making backup copies of anything important to you (ie, if you have a collection of hundreds of brushes that took years to build) AND make sure you don't just click through things without reading them ... look at the available options carefully (ie, whether you're appending something or replacing it ... like the currently loaded brushes, styles, etc.).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]