FORUMS: list search recent posts

No easy way of converting CMYK to RGB?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Taylor
No easy way of converting CMYK to RGB?
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:12:44 pm

Is there seriously no easy way to convert CMYK to RGB? I work in the TV industry and I have some high rez EPS logos that I need to make graphics from. The only problem is that some of them are in CMYK. Now I know I can change them from CMYK to RGB in photoshop but that doesn't change the colour infromation (the blacks look dull and some hues are changed) I'm sure your all aware that companies are quite particular about their logo colours so it's important that I get them as close as possible.
So my question is: Is there a easy(ish) way to convert an image to RGB so that it looks how it was origonaly indended (blacks being pure black and whatnot) or at least a half-ass way to get it close (maybe some levels or curves adjustment) This would make my life so much easier. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Johnathan Throbins
Re: No easy way of converting CMYK to RGB?
on Aug 8, 2010 at 5:47:01 am

You probably already know this, but when you change them are you just going into the image color mode menu or are you doing edit convert to profile? The latter works much better and you can choose perceptual, relative colorimetric etc. There are good tutorials online about which one to pick for what purposes but for one thing you can probably just convert and see if you have a good (and well calibrated) monitor.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:57:28 am

You're dealing with art in a reduced color gamut (CMYK). Make the conversion by going to LAB, then RGB. Then, adjust the color by using curves or whatever method it takes to make the colors look as they should.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:48:50 pm

I really don't think that tep is needed. CMYK is smaller gamut then RGB. Converting a a wider one will result in no shift. You only ee shift going RGN to CMYK (hence the Out of Gamut preview on Vieww menu).

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]