FORUMS: list search recent posts

PS wont' save PSD with transparent background

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Tad Newberry
PS wont' save PSD with transparent background
on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:23:14 pm

I'm new to PS, am using the trial version, and have been importing targa and psd lower third graphic files, but some fonts on them, and then when i save them as a PSD file I keep getting an opaque black background. I can save them as a much larger tiff file with a transparent background, but i would prefer to save as PSD. I've tried with the alpha channel checked and unchecked, but to no avail.

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: PS wont' save PSD with transparent background
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:48:59 am

Watch the Cow Podcast on Alpha Channels

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:11:51 am

Thanks Richard, that was a very good video, and i'm sure it will help me down the road. But for this project, it didn't answer my question. To be more clear, the targa image that i'm starting with is a lower third graphic (basically just a bar with two sections: one is opaque, and the other about 50% transparent. If I resave it as a targa or tiff (both fairly large files), the black in the alpha channel is transparent when i bring it into FCP. But everytime I try saving it as a PSD, the black BG is opaque. I realize I could cut the black out of the BG in PS, but doing it that way the bar that is supposed to be 50% transparent ends up being fully opaque. : (

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 24, 2010 at 1:26:09 am

Double click the locked layer to float it

Switch to channels Cmd + Click alpha to load it

Switch back and add the selection as a layer mask (may need to invert it)

Save as PSD

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:01:56 am

Hey Thanks!

The first two steps were easy enough, but not sure how to "Switch back and add the selection as a layer mask (may need to invert it)". Like I said, i'm a newbie...

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 25, 2010 at 10:37:46 pm

Do a search on layer mask or open help menu. You have all the steps and the correct terms.

"teach a man to fish...."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]