FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Shift when Rendering Video

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott schweizer
Color Shift when Rendering Video
on May 24, 2010 at 5:37:47 am

I've been having a serious problem with color shift when creating video files in Photoshop CS5 and CS3.

Basically the work-flow I've been using is to:
-make adjustments in camera raw to .cr2 (exposure, color, crop to 16x9, ect)
-use photoshop's image processor to save the raw files as .tif files re-sized to 1920x1080
-open the files as an image sequence via file>open with image sequence selected
-once the files are opened as a video layer in photoshop (no poroblem with color consistency up to this point and all files in Adobe(1998), I choose export>render video

Once the video has been rendered, no matter what codec or settings used, there is a gamma/color shift. I've tried a number of different ProRes and h.264 options to no avail. I've used .jpeg instead of .tiff files and used Quicktime and Final Cut Pro to view the files. I've also rendered the files in Quicktime with the same results.

Since I mainly work with still images this brought up a few questions I haven't found out how to address: is there a particular color-space inherent in ProRes and h.264 files such as there is with Adobe(1998) and sRGB files? Seems as if the HDTV, NTSC, and Adobe(1998) use the same white point. This would explain why there isn't a shift in color temperature just saturation and contrast (especially if there is a diffidence in gamma between HDTV, NTSC, and Adobe(1998)).

The only clue I've come across is that when I open one of the source .tiff files and select View>Proof Setup>Monitor RGB, I get the same shift that occurs when I go from a video layer to a rendered video.

I've been doing this work on a glossy Mac Book Pro screen. I know it is not the best screen (compared to an eizo or broadcast monitor), but I've found the Mac Book Pro screens to be sufficient when calibrated. Not amazing, but good enough to get by when a nicer screen is not available.

Does anyone have any idea as to why rendered video files would have such a dramatic shift in contrast/saturation? Are there any steps to be taking when rendering the video - or at any other point in the work-flow - that would help to eliminate or reduce the problem?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Best,

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]