FORUMS: list search recent posts

masking and replacing an image with texture

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Elson
masking and replacing an image with texture
on May 12, 2010 at 3:44:19 pm

Hi there,

I am having some trouble with editing an image of a piggy bank on a white background, i am trying to replace the "skin" with another image. i have tried using quick mask but im not getting the authentic look that im am trying to achieve. can someone advise me the best way to do it or what special effects/transparencies i could use. attached is a rough image of what i have done so far. the image of the pig can be downloaded from here http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=348608.

I want the texture of the pig to show through on the replaced image if that makes sense.

thanks in advance for all responses

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
Re: masking and replacing an image with texture
on May 12, 2010 at 9:27:35 pm

Unfortunately, I am not able to see your picture. But from your story, I think you need to use a clipping mask in combination with one of the composition modes.

Theo

Return to posts index

Alison Elson
on May 13, 2010 at 7:32:04 am

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your response, please could you advise me on what compistion modes would be best. I have reatatched the rough draft that i did. if you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

as you can see i cannot see the money slot, texture or facial details, i just need to know what im not doing right!

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on May 13, 2010 at 3:47:58 pm

OK,Open the picture with the pig

Go to the layer tab and doubleclick in the background layer (with the pig) to create a normal layer from the background layer.

Select the pig (or select the area around the pig and inverse the selection)

press Ctrl J to place the pig on its own layer

Place the file with the picture you want to use to cover the pig on a layer above the pig

Press Alt button while you move the mouse in the layertab between the layer with the pig and the layer with the cover

When the mouse-arrow changes to two circles, click with the mouse.

You just created the clipping mask.

Go back to the layertab. On top you can select the layermode, which is default set to NORMAL. Change it to multiply and see what happens. Depending on your files, one of the other MODES might work better, you just have to try

good luck!

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]