FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are Photoshop Documents Future-Proof (in terms of how they look)?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schmidt
Are Photoshop Documents Future-Proof (in terms of how they look)?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 2:22:58 pm

I am thinking about upgrading from CS3 to CS5 in the near future. What I am worried about is a possible shift in the way my images look. Let me explain what I mean by that:

I open all of my RAW files as smart objects in Photoshop, so that I can go back and easily change any of my RAW settings at any time. Also, you should know that I tend to use a lot of adjustment layers.

Now, what if Photoshop CS5 (or any later versions) happens to calculate adjustment layers somewhat differently. That could change the way my pictures look, right? What if a future version of ACR processes images slightly differently in some way? Would that not also change the way all of my Photoshop documents look, since they all contain the original RAW file as a smart object?

Are the concerns founded or unfounded? Are Photoshop documents with lots of adjustment layers and embedded RAW files future-proof (in terms of how they are rendered)?

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Are Photoshop Documents Future-Proof (in terms of how they look)?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 10:48:34 pm

If you placed raw files... they'll only be rendered if you re-open them.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
Re: Are Photoshop Documents Future-Proof (in terms of how they look)?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:23:39 pm

That is good to know. So I guess, as long as I don't open the smart objects with the RAW files, I should be fine in that regard.

What about adjustment layers (and smart filters, etc.)? Has it happened before in the history of Photoshop that documents looked differently when opened in a new version of the program?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]