FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to get a lego effect. To create a video like White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean crotty
Trying to get a lego effect. To create a video like White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl
on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:49:47 pm

This is the effect I want.

I know some of it is stop motion with real lego, but in an interview he said he did film the band playing and then through a computer frame by frame made them legoized.

Please help I've tried everything, I'm going to film someone then frame by frame do the effect.

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Trying to get a lego effect. To create a video like White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:00:49 am

it takes a lot of work to simplify footage that much and still have it be recognizable.

If you really want to use footage, some tools that might help you are:

1. Filter > Pixilate > Mosaic
Mosaic pixilates your image into squares according to the averages of the pixels in each square. If you use it on real footage, it will make it look blurry and unrecognizable--you have many more steps ahead.

AE also has most of these filters if you plan to do it there.

2. Image > Adjustments > Posterize
Posterize will reduce the number of colors in your image. You don't have a lot of control over which colors are selected, though, so be prepared to replace them.

3. Filter Gallery... Cutout
I like cutout more than posterize, since it reduces the number of colors to a pallete more like that of the original... no idea how this would work over many frames of moving footage. You'd have to do it before the mosaic, or do the mosaic again when you're done.

4. Layer > Layer Style > Drop Shadow
Once you have a small number of colors, you'll need each color on its own layer. if each layer has a drop shadow it will look like they're sitting on top of each other. Real 3-D layers are annoyingly, impossibly hard to do in Photoshop.

HOWEVER,

All told I think it would be easier to do a crude animation and then use effects to make it look blocky--to me that looks like what happened here, no matter what anyone says. (who moves their arms like that when they drum??)

--fill a layer with the color you want
--add a "hide all" layer mask
--use a white brush to draw a body part on the layer mask
--run Mosaic on the layer mask (Filter > Pixilate > Mosaic)
--run Threshold on the layer mask. (Image > Adjustments > Threshold)
--add a drop shadow to the layer.

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: Trying to get a lego effect. To create a video like White Stripes Fell In Love With A Girl
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:11:34 am

yeah, that didn't take me long at all. Use a low frame rate for less work and a choppier feel.

See how the shape of each layer is determined by the LAYER MASK, and not by the layer itself. I did all the drawing on the layer mask, then ran Mosaic and Threshold ON THE LAYER MASK.

Now you just have to do it around 12 times a second! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]