FORUMS: list search recent posts

video scratch removal in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullin
video scratch removal in Photoshop
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:14:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a video editor working in Final Cut Pro who has a problem with dud pixels on his video.

I realise that I can import quicktime video into Photoshop CS4 Extended and use the patch tool to do a really nice fix on each frame, but I was wondering if it's possible to apply the same patch to every frame in one go, rather than stepping through and applying it separately to every frame.

This would save me much stress if I can do it.

Many thanks,

John McMullin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wood
Re: video scratch removal in Photoshop
on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53:57 am

Well, because you said "I was wondering if it's possible to apply the same patch to every frame in one go", it shouldn't be too difficult.

What I suggest is the following:
1. Export a single fram of your video to a still image. Make sure it nneds the patch.
2. Import in to Photoshop.
3. In the new Photoshop image, add a layer, and use the clone tool to create your nice patch on the new transparent layer.
4. Export the patch layer as a form of image with alpha channel that FCP recognizes - PSD with alpha, or maybe PNG with alpha.
5. Import the patch image+alpha into FCP, and composite it on a layer above your video. Make sure that it has the aplha channel enabled, and stretch it on the timeline to cover your whole video segment. It should act like a patch to all frames.
6. Get a coffess or order a pizza or watch a dvd while it renders.

If your background changes underneath the patch, just repeat the process as appropriate.

Return to posts index

John McMullin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:00:02 pm

We ended up downloading Photoshop CS4 Extended and importing the video.

It's possible to use Photoshop actions to define an area using the Photoshop patch tool and automatically advance through the frames patching as it goes.

It works pretty well if that area of the image is generally soft focus or similar in colour. Can go wrong if there's a lot of detail in that area. If it goes wrong, which it does fairly often, you have to step through frame by frame.

Generally it's been a time killer this process and none too exciting but the results are seamless.

John

Return to posts index

Kesiena Orikpete
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:32:31 am

Kevin Wood has said it all. That's how its done. Follow the steps gradually & u'll see its like a patch to all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]