FORUMS: list search recent posts

adobe photoshp backup

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Duffy
adobe photoshp backup
on Feb 21, 2010 at 4:14:27 am

After a hard drive crash, I discovered a serious limitation on backups with Elements 4.0. I'm thinking I must be missing something so ask for help not found in the manuals.

Say I have a photo file I have named for easy recognition: "My dog and I on hypothetical mt.jpg." It is in a collection, "2009 hikes," and has a tag "dog pictures."

When I backup to an external hard drive photos, full or incremental, Adobe Elements 4.0 backs up only the file and some--but not all--tag information. The only file name assigned the backed up file is "BO000001, ...02, or 004356" (I have thousands of photos). The distinct file name is gone, not in metadata or anywhere I can find, the collection assignment is gone and it may or may not be saved with the tag I assigned. So yeah, the file is backed up, but good luck finding the needle in a haystack. And I have to totally re-create the collection/designations. Countless hours are required to do this.

After this crushing experience and days of work re-creating my collection, I am now "copying" or using an external drive with it's own backup software, to backup the files. At least that way the file names I assigned remain assigned, if not collection and tag info.

Is it possible Adobe would create such a flawed backup system on what was expensive software when I bought it years ago? Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]