FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filters and Effects with Large Format

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bark
Filters and Effects with Large Format
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:35:08 am

I've got an 18 x 24 poster I've got to do at 300 dpi for typography class. Latters on one layer, background on another. The filters really stink at that size. Any solution?

Also, trying to make (maybe?) a marble or cement background with the letters embedded into the background. Can anyone point me in the right direction. It's beyond me.

Thanks!

David Bark
Lightshine Productions

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Filters and Effects with Large Format
on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:33:49 pm

I suppose by "the filters stink," you might mean that they take long to process and apply at that size/resolution.

Unless it's expressly part of the assignment, you don't really need 300ppi. Even for close-up viewing, you only need resolution equal to the line screen frequency of the output device x 1.5. For an 18 x 24 poster, you could easily get away with 150-200ppi.

The Effect: When you're satisfied with your background texture, (concrete, stone, etc.), set your type on a layer above. Then Cmd/Ctrl+Click on the type layer thumbnail in the Layers Panel to load the letterforms as a selection.

Turn off the types layer's visibility, target the background layer, and press Cmd/Ctrl+J to make a layer containing a copy of the letterforms from the background texture.

(Backgound layer visibility turned of for illustrative purposes.)

Double-Click the new layer and add Bevel and Emboss effects to produce the illusion of the letterforms embossed or debossed in the background.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:13:34 am

What will your final output be? Large format inkjet? Offset? If it's inkjet, reduce your resolution down - to as low as 150 dpi (try whatever setting works best for you).

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:22:43 pm

Assuming that Photoshop is generating the letters via typing with normal fonts, boost the resolution (ppi) dramatically. Once the text is complete at the high resolution, rasterize the text layer. After rasterization is complete, use image resize to bring the resolution back down to 300ppi.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]