FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop titles to FC workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Miale
Photoshop titles to FC workflow
on Jan 10, 2010 at 7:48:22 am

This continues a thread from the FCP forum, moved here as you requested, Richard.

I made titles in PS (type only, to show over a moving video background in FC), using Sharp antialiasing and 720 x 480 size (for NTSC dv sd) and nonsquare pixels and an alpha channel. Then saved as a TIFF.

Now after importing to FCP, the titles show against an opaque white background, and changing the composite type or alpha mode doesn't seem to help.

Walter

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Photoshop titles to FC workflow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:09:49 am

Make sure you are making alpha correctly (see podcast on that)

Use Alpha Channel action in PS that I wrote

Also... Make sure you are not checking the box to save transparency in TIFF dialog, the alpha does that... doubling up confuses FCP

You can change the alpha interpretation in Item Properties in FCP if needed to refine as well... but resave alpha properly first

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:50:30 am

Hey thanks, Richard. I looked closely at the podcasts. I'm missing something.

Can the procedure for alpha channels be the same for text layers? I don't see how you can use a selection tool (color range) to make an alpha for text.

I'm making titles (white, wih drop shadows and outline (stroke) fx. The alpha channel will delineate the outside edges of the drop shadow, but the problem that began this thread is that the type itself does not have good crisp edges, although I am following all your other instructions.

I'm using a font with serifs--Palatino. At 60 points, the slides look OK in PS, but in FC (and at 200 percent in PS) the curve at the top of the O's and at the bulges in the B's are going, as are the diagonals in the W's. I'd like to do better.

At 29 points, the text in FC is borderline, and at 23 points, text looks lousy--even with sans serif fonts.

Here's my work order: New file w preset of 720 x 480 w .9 nonsquare pixels, Drag in a still of the video background as a dummy. Add a text layer for each type block and enter the text. Add drop shadows and outline. Convert type to shape. Deselect the background and merge the visible layers. Discard the background. I would add the alpha here (yes?) except for the drop-shadow problem above. Then I save as a layered TIFF and import to FC.

Thanks again.

Walter

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:14:11 pm

Your problem is that you are working in a video resolution, and then trying to zoom in on the result. Create the text at a MUCH higher resolution (i.e. ppi) in a separate image file. Boost the text size (pt size) if necessary. After the text is created and you are satisfied with it, convert the text to a photoshop image (i.e. rasterize it). Then, use bicubic sharper to reduce the text to the desired size, and drag it into your video.

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Jan 14, 2010 at 7:05:44 pm

Must this be done in an app like Word or InDesign or TextEdit, or can it just be done in another Photoshop file at a higher res in another format or converted to shape before reducing?

What is a bicubic sharper?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:51:22 am

Photoshop is assumed in what I wrote. Bicubic Sharper is an image resizing method within Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:24:11 am

OK, I reviewed the podcast again and am working on it.

The problem with selecting the type is that it has drop shadows (and strokes). I cant add the alpha after doing the drop shadows, and of course if I add them before-they disappear.

Kindly advise.

BTW I take it that when you said to do the job in native size, you meant (for dv sd) 720 x 480, yes? I have sort of passable type at 60 pts, borderline at 29 pts and bad at 23 pts.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:00:30 am

Watch some of our text shows. Just turn BG layer off so text over transparency

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]