FORUMS: list search recent posts

Separating 2D Images for a 3D Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Bronte
Separating 2D Images for a 3D Effect?
on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:17:55 am

I am using the Pen tool to select parts of a photograph in order to create a 3D layer effect. I am using photoshop [CS4] to make the selections and AE [v9] to create the effect.

The foreground selection Im trying to make has a hole in it that clearly shows the background. If I select the outline of the foreground portion of the photo I end up with this area that shows the background right in the middle. This really stuffs up the whole 3D effect, especially when adding a zoom in there.

How can I select the foreground portion a photo as a new layer and leave the portion that shows the background where it is?

I've watched part 32 of the photoshop top 40 with Deke McCleelland which is really helpful. if anyone can point me to a video tutorial that outlines the advanced features of the Pen Tool and how to make the most out of selecting parts of an image as a new layer I would be extremely grateful.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Separating 2D Images for a 3D Effect?
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43:51 am

I have a DVD called Motion control 3D on this.

BUT there are also some basic tutorials at the cow

Looking up Clone, Heal, Patterns, etc in the Photoshop for Video podcast

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:41:25 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm very new to the Ps, FCP Suite etc so please forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions. It can be hard to explain in writing what I'm having trouble with....

Can I upload your DVD instead of waiting on snail mail?

So I'm trying to create this 3d effect. At the moment I'm in Ps selecting the portions of the photo I want to use. First question - due to my disability it takes me ages to select things, how do I start selecting a path, save it and then go back to the same path and finish it at a later time, whilst keeping it available to select as a new layer? So far if I start selecting a path with the pen tool, save it, go back to it later and start selecting the same portion of the photo, I end up with what looks like two separate paths.
Secondly, if there is a gap/hole in the portion of the photo that shows the background, how do I select this portion without taking the background with it? Can you use the pen tool to select the outline and then make another selection that doesnt touch the outline and then make a selection of both for the new layer?

So thats what I'm trying to do/work out.

Thanks again for the reply. AND thanks for the tutorials....

Best regards,

Patrick

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:02:42 am

Sorry.... its only a DVD right now.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]